External Crossovers ???

elviszappa

What does it all mean...It seems like speaker manufacturers (at least high-end one's) would have been using outboard crossovers long ago. I'm still confused/skeptical..or something !!!

It probably means very little to most folks - only the crazy guys trying to squeeze that last 1% of performance out of their setups worry about this stuff.

One thing that Linkwitz does point out to me is that folks using acoustic suspension (closed box) speakers should at least run the math to convince themselves that they don't have a problem, since the SPL inside the boxes are probably ~160+ dB, and any discrete component that isn't completely inert to that kind of modulation pressure probably should be mounted in an area that is acoustically protected from the woofer. Maybe that is why PWK used oil caps instead of other types of caps...who knows?

It's standard procedure to test DoD electronics for acoustic environments in the range seen in Linkwitz's calculations since it's been typical that problems exist at these SPL levels vis-a-vis electronics (even non-tube designs). Discrete component board potting or circuit integration is usually employed to avoid issues.

Chris

Well considering the beautiful craftsmanship of crossovers built by the
likes of Bob, Al and Dean ... even if it is sonically questionable to have
a external crossover ... at least you get to see what you paid for!
There is obviously no harm in having them outside the speaker and maybe
it would have some beneficial effect. I would be great if someone with
the proper test equipment could try to test for any measurable
difference. I suppose a suitable way to run the crossover output wiring
back into the cabinet is the next thing to consider .. that should not
be to hard though.

• 2 years later...

As a follow up to this old thread ...

I've been doing a lot of research on caps and crossovers in preparing for a crossover rebuild and came across this set of photos from the Sonus Faber factory making Amati speakers ($27,000.00 a pair, but that does include free shipping !).

http://www.hifi-notes.com/sonusfaberamatifabrikage-nl.htm

I though the photos of the crossover were interesting. It's also interesting that
they seal them in resin when the are finished. I'm still thinking of leaving my crossovers outside
the cabinets to avoid vibration do to the high sound pressure level
inside. It looks like they use a different solution... interesting!

B.S. has a big advantage, it has no restraints placed on it by truth. It only needs to be composed to sound believable!

It's true, I have a freind who has been spending big $$$$ on high end power cables. Just last week he spent a large amound of time trying to convince me his new $90 1 meter USB cable made an astonishing improvement. I tried to explain the vitrues of the 0"s and 1's but he is thoroughly convinced.

B.S., Snake Oil, and my new favorite Cryo treating, are huge money makers, and none of their merrits can be measured.

Ugg...Dave

really snake oil! digital data is based on the rule of "all or nothing" if some 0s and 1s are missing, all the dare will be corrupted. if a cheap 4$ USB cable is connected to a DAC and you can hear the song (!) it's all that. no other cable can do any better. 0s and 1s are passing!