Looking for fast, tight bass sub (not found in RW-12D)

scottfung

Hi all,

I recently bought a RW-12D. It is a good sub for movies but its bass is just too muddy for my taste in music. Can someone recommend other models in Klipsch line or other brands that offer fast and tight bass? I suspect most vented subs are probabaly on the loose side in terms of bass quality. Any experience with RSW-12, XW-500d, and sw-310? They are either sealed or passive-radiator enclosures. Thanks.

Scott

Hi all,

I recently bought a RW-12D. It is a good sub for movies but its bass is just too muddy for my taste in music. Can someone recommend other models in Klipsch line or other brands that offer fast and tight bass? I suspect most vented subs are probabaly on the loose side in terms of bass quality. Any experience with RSW-12, XW-500d, and sw-310? They are either sealed or passive-radiator enclosures. Thanks.

Scott

The RSW-12 is a great sub, but before you spend any money, you might try moving the sub around the room and/or adjusting the phase. You can take a great sub and make it sound like crap if it's not in an optimal spot or especially if the phase is off.

They do not go that low. I no longer have it because it broke. I sold it to a Perdue university student that was studying in electronics who

fixed it and is very very happy with it. I am now using a HSU sub for my two channel listening and I have 2 subs for my HT. You do not

know what you are missing untill you hook a sub up into your system and then you say WOW[:D].

like i said invest in 1515 model if u can u be at concert i promise u that i never heard anyting that can beatthat beast with 600 w

music come sto life u can hear real bass drum way was recorded no slop here like rw12d and this is your modern todays sound sub

tight punch way was rrecored in studio nobody got these around to test but i took chance and bought one my rw12 cant touch it on 20% up lol

this will nock your balls apart man real serios sub one u keep fora liftime all u need is one 1499 pinaio one is 2000 nice finsh long as it has that 600w amp

and those dual 15s thats one to get by earth quake u never heard nothing in life to u guys try one these

Details

* 600 Watts RMS built-in Class "D" amplifier (same amplifier for 10", 12" and 15" models, excludes MiniMe) * Patented passive radiator technology * Available Sizes: 10", 12" and 15" * Available Finishes: Piano Black, Cherry Wood Veneer, Black Ash * Wood Veneer and the original Poly Grip Tough Shell Finish (check for availability on Tough Shell finished items). 1 - Patented SLAPS (Symmetrically Loaded Audio Passive System) 2 - Volume control 3 - Remote control detection 4 - Low level RCA inputs and outputs 5 - High level inputs and outputs 6 - ON/OFF switch w/ auto ON option 7 - Phase flip switch 8 - 24dB variable crossover Earthquake's SLAPS Passive Radiator Earthquake's patented symmetrically loaded passive radiator allows the user to enjoy the benefits of deep bass and the full impact of sound effects without having to put up with a giant eyesore in the room. SLAPS lets Earthquake subwooofers go very low without having to increase enclosure volume. SLAPS can be used in car as well as in home-audio applications. Wherever subwoofers must be tuned to a low frequency without increasing the enclosure volume, and without the need to deal with the traditional shortcomings of port tuning such as port noise, port length, and availability. Earthquake's Overdrive Overdrive is a patented feature that allows the Supernova amplifier to generate maximum output with virtually any level of input audio signal. Earthquake's Optical Distortion Limiting Circuitry (ODL): ODL was created to eliminate audio amplifier input stage clipping without distorting the audio signal. What is a Supernova? MKV: The Reining Champion Feast your ears and please your eyes... Earthquake's Supernova MKV subwoofer is the product of meticulous engineering, detailed craftsmanship, and passion for performance all geared to please the audiophile in every one of us. What Happens When Elegance Meets Performance? Rich in heritage and design philosophy, Supernova subwoofers have set standards that conventional subwoofer could never match. Over 20 years of collective experience in generating bass propels Supernova technology beyond the reach of others in the industry. Suffice it to say that Earthquake's Supernova subwoofer was ranked #1 when tested by five of the major leading home-audio magazines. The finely finished, hand-crafted piano-black Supernovas house the most advanced type of digital amplifier (producing 600 watts of thundering bass power) coupled with Earthquake's SLAPS passive technology and more than 3 inches of excursion. Frequency Response: 17Hz - 120Hz Amplifier Power / Type: 1200 Watts Class "D" Input Impedance: 6 kOhm Driver: 15" High Power Earthquake Magma Subwoofer Passive Radiator: 15" Patented SLAPS Symmetrically Loaded Audio Passive System Enclosure Type: Sealed With Passive Radiator Dimensions: 17 3/4" x 17 1/4" x 21 1/2" Finish: Classic (Polyurethane), Piano Black, Black-Ash Wood Veneer and Cherry Wood Veneer Classic = 86 Lbs. All Others = 105 Lbs.

Introduction

I have been wanting to review an Earthquake Subwoofer ever since I saw someone standing on one at CES, getting an 18 Hz massage. Not only was he shaking, but everyone's clothing nearby. I suppose the adjacent booths didn't like it, but I know all the passersby did.

Joseph Sahyoun and John Paul Lefebvre dropped a SuperNova MK-V (the previous version was the MK-IV) off at our test facility last month for me to try out. It is big and heavy, as all good subwoofers are. In this case, all 88 pounds of it, with two 15" drivers (one active, one passive) and a 580 watt digital amplifier.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/earthquake-supernova-mkv-subwoofer-10-2004.html

read review bigge rpics

We have a pretty big listening space in the lab, and plenty of wall and corner treatments, but the MK-V managed to fill it to the brim with thunderous sound. From Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, to Stravinsky's The Firebird, there was nothing that made the SuperNova flinch. There is nothing like a big high-excursion driver coupled with lots of watts.

With music, it is easier to detect harmonics, because it makes instruments such as string bass sound abnormal. However, I could detect no harmonics even at high listening levels.

With movies, ah what a sound! From Matrix: Revolutions, to Pearl Harbor, the room shuddered with wonderful deep bass. Although one SuperNova is plenty, there is still some advantage to having stereo subs. Not all SSPs have stereo subwoofer outputs, but some do, such as the Lexicon MC-12 and Theta Casablanca III. The Burl Wood SuperNova is beautiful, but very expensive. So, if I were populating my system with the SuperNova, I would get two of the Black Polyurethane versions, which together are almost the same price as one Burl Wood version