KHorn Bass Problem - Update

Brockybear

Firstly thank you to everybody on the forum for your rock solid advice.

After changing from 8 ohm to 4 ohm taps and sealing the Khorns with pipe insulation and adding a sub woofer to help with the low volume bass; my tube pre amp decided to play up and I had to change it over for solid state unit I had lying around.

Ka BOOM...The KHorns were back to how they should have sounded in the first place. I turned off the sub woofers and put the horns back on the 8 ohm tap. The bottom end was back with abundance. I thought the problem was the Cary CAD211 power amps but it was the Cary SLP05 pre amp all along. The difference was astonishing.

Now I need to work out why the SLP05 is bass shy and or look for another preamp

Don't be too hasty about replacing your pre amp, thats one mighty fine piece of equipment & should sound excellent with your speakers............Has it always sounded bass shy?...................if yes, then maybe there is something wrong..............if not.................maybe the valves need replacing?..................is the bias OK?......................what about your incoming power supply, is it delivering the full 240 volts? Many valve amps won't sound correct if not fed the correct voltage...........Cheers,'John [*-)]