S4 cable noise?

diamondhead

The phones are great, but the amplified noise that comes through when the cords move around drives me nuts. You can also hear it if you just tap the cords. It's particularly the sections from the buds to where they are joined. It makes them not suitable for anything that involves movement, which is disappointing. Anyone have any success and tips about how to reduce this? I'd appreciate it.

If you insert them upside down so that the cables wrap around the back of your ears, it pretty much eliminates any of this cable noise. Your ears absorb all the cable vibrations so your ear canal doesn't. There was a really detailed post by a Klipsch employee on this a long while back. If I had it handy I'd link to it for you.

That is what worked for me and still does today.

RETURN THEM.....TRUST ME YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

THESE CABLES WILL EVENTUALLY BREAKE AND IF YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY KLIPSCH WILL NOT REPLACE THEM OR REPAIR.....

caps-lock-release-the-anger-caps-lock-de

Funny - I've been using my S4s going on 6 months now at the gym (and believe me they get some pretty rough use) and i've YET to have a problem with them. To bad you had the issue with yours, but there is no reason to be such a d[8]ck about it. Alright - we get the message - you are not happy. Do you have to post this crap in EVERY thread?

Also to add - I've been using my Custom-3s for going on 3 YEARS and again, not a single issue with them at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The "over the ear for better seal" is for people (like me) who have an ear canal shaped such that the body of the S4 hits part of the ear preventing a good seal. Putting them upside down changes the angle of the S4 body.

I have another reason I like to use them upside down. When I work out on my stationary bicycle, I put the S4's in upside down, but do not wrap the wires over my ears. This way, the wires stick out into mid air preventing sweat from travelling down the wire.

'Sweat travelling down the wire' is a problem I first had when using the S4's the normal way. The moisture from my head would drip down the wires all the way down to the iPod control. Once the salty moisture got into the control, it shorted the volume buttons rendering it useless.

I did fix my iPod control even though Klipsch was willing to warranty them. I have a microscope and really small tweezers, and the knowledge necessary to take the iPod control apart and clean out the tactile snap buttons. My control now works perfectly. [:)]

Note: Taking apart your own iPod control is not recommended.