RF-52 II Midrange/Midbass & RW-12d

vadang

Hello all, new here and relatively new to home theater. There is currently a combo deal at newegg for the following:

RF-52 II x 2

RC-52 II

RW-12d

RB-51 II x 2

Onkyo TX-SR608

all for the "cheap" price of 1400.

My current system consists of:

Pioneer VSX-9040TXH (aka elite VSX-21TXH)

Polk RT800i x 2

Polk CS400i

some old Athena sub

environment: open family room ~20x15, with openings to kitchen and foyer. I do not plan on using the rear speakers, strictly a 3.1 for now.

Now I am not entirely satisfied by the midrange with the polks and midbass is something I really hate not hearing/feeling. Unfortunately, no where near me has these setup for auditioning otherwise I would listen to them. Any owners out there that can tell me if the -52 series delivers good midrange/midbass? I would keep my pioneer and sell the onkyo to make up some of my money. My gut is telling me that the Klipsch's 5.25" drivers will sound better than the Polk's 6.5" drivers. How does the RW-12d compare to similarly priced subs? From what I can tell, most people recommend, SVS, eD, etc.

I have a bad habit of buying good deals, but would I be better off saving my money for something better? I was looking for a new sub and have always been unhappy with the midrange, so I figured this might be a good deal for me...two birds with one stone.

I am on a budget, just had my first kid and the wife doesn't think he needs to watch Cars with sound you can feel in your chest. Oh and I have heard some of the older Reference line, probably 10 years old and I loved them, so I am not concerned with the "harsh" sounds a lot of people complain about.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: added breaks for easier read...didn't know I had to them manually :)

I've never auditioned the Polks, but I do own a 3.1 set of the RF-62s and an RW-12d. Here's what I can tell you...I think you will be very happy with the bass and midbass in the 52s, however, one common complaint about the RF-52s, 62s, and 82s is a lack of high quality midrange. It gets dulled out by the detailed highs and strong bass. The timbre matched RC-52 does do a fantastic job of balancing that out though, so you might come away quite happy with the set-up.

The RW-12d is overpriced at retail ($800.00), but there have been alot of internet deals of late in the $550. and under range, which is a much more competitive price for it. On the other hand, there are still better subs in the $500. and under range that can be purchased new. Will you be happy with the sub? Absolutely!

Now, for your paticular concerns, without auditioning the 52s you might be taking a bit of a risk, espescially since you don't need the receiver or bookshelves. Assuming you could get $400. for the receiver that puts you in right at $1000. If you are willing to go used, I think you could get an equivalent or better sub two RF-62s and an RC-62 which would have a better sound stage than the 52s (same concern about midrange).

If you want to go new, Vanns.com still has the Klipsch ICON WF-34s and WC-24 for $720. which DOES have exceptional midrange and midbass, but you do lack a little on the true low end and a good sub is a must. The XW-300d is selling at $280. and might be enough for you, but then again, you could probably find a much better sub for around $400. The ICON WFs are much more laid back than the Reference Series, so again, you may trade one problem for another.

Hope that helped. Good luck!

Vadang,

Welcome to the forum.

Hello all, new here and relatively new to home theater. There is currently a combo deal at newegg for the following:

RF-52 II x 2

RC-52 II

RW-12d

RB-51 II x 2

Onkyo TX-SR608

all for the "cheap" price of 1400.

I think that is a super price. That is close to $2400.00 worth of new gear for $1400.00. Insane price.[Y]

Any owners out there that can tell me if the -52 series delivers good midrange/midbass?

If you can dial in that RW-12d just right with the RF-52II's, I think you will have a winning combination. While the "smaller" Reference floorstanders don't have the "in your face" impact of the larger ones, crossover settings will play a huge role if set correctly. I think it would be beneficial to try setting them at say 120hz(starting point) and then demo and then keep trying to you get it right. With the smaller wooferss(5.25in) of the 52II's, the crossover to the tweeters should be a much smoother process than say an 8in woofer to the tweeters. The 5.25in woofers are more of mid bass/midrange driver design anyway.

Look at these reviews.

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-rf-52-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/?page=1

http://www.avguide.com/review/klipsch-rf-52-51-channel-speaker-system

Bill

Some additional resources that might help...

RF-52 Professional review: http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-rf-52-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

WF-34 Professional review: http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-icon-wf-34-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

Forum member Dysmae recently posted his WF-34 5.1 system here: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/42024.aspx?PageIndex=214 He works at a Best Buy Magnolia, so there's a chance he's also heard your polk system.

Forum member suBXeRo spent quite a bit of time putting together a beautiful used Reference series 5 channel surround sound at rediculous good prices! Check out this thread: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/143847.aspx?PageIndex=1

Hi Vedang,

I just bough other newegg deal which has Yamaha 667 receiver ( #1 rated receiver in 2010 in that price range)

But combo does not have Sub and has RB 41 for Surrounds with rest of the setup of 2 RF 52 and RC 52. All for $1000.

I heard RF 52 in Ultimate Electronics and they "sounded very good to me with 2 floor standing and one Center channel". My roomsize is 18 ft by 19 ft and think they would sound good for that size room.

I would be hunting for the Sub deal now, infacted posing question in Sub category on whether I should go with Klipsch Sub or any other decent low cost sub would go well with those.