Cheap home-made turntable anti-vibration stand

onlyme

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I know this is not very technical. [:$]

I was tired of not being able to listen to my vinyl properly, due to vibration resonaces being transmitted to the turntable. I decided to build a stand that would hopefully eliminate any resosnaces from getting to the turntable. I read somewhere that people were attaching foam rubber to the underside of concrete paving blocks, and that effectivly qwelled the vibrations. I decided I wanted to do that, but with a slightly more asthetic outcome. After looking at my local Home Depot, I selected two 20"x20" ceramic floor tiles. Then I found a 17"x15"x1" section of high density polyeurathane foam at the local Joann Fabrics craft store. A little adhesive and black paint later, I have a solid turntable stand. This thing is heavy, right at 17.5 lbs.

Materials and tools: (rounded to nearest $1)

(2) 20x20 tile- $3 ea

17x15x1 foam- $5

marble adhesive- $5

caulking gun- $2

throwaway brush- $1

flat black paint can- $1

Total- $20!!

Note that I got a building permit from the SWMBO before proceding [;)], and used the dog's blanket to keep the kitchen table clean.

DSCF1519.jpg

Painting the foam is unlike any other painting I've ever done. Normally you would start with a few light coats prior to the heavier coverage coats. Not with foam. Bascially I threw as much paint at it as I could, emptied the can, and I still don't have 100% coverage. But oh well, it will be basically hidden.

DSCF1522.jpg

DSCF1524.jpg

DSCF1525.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg

DSCF1527.jpg

DSCF1529.jpg

DSCF1530.jpg

DSCF1532.jpg

The entire process only took 30-40 minutes, and that's with me being all OCD. [;)] I'm not good with building things at all, so the fact that I could complete this says volumes about the simplicity of this project. Hopefully this is something you could build and use (if needed obviously).

I'll post up vibration dampening results results here shortly, when I'm confident everything is dry.

-Kelly

Thanks for the compliments guys! Now that I've proven the thoery, I'm going to look for some garnish type moldings to cover the edges of the tiles, as those aren't especially good looking. Maybe even stain them mohogany to match the KG 5.5's. [H]

My older Sony cd player skips with loud bass, so this may be the ticket. Thanks!

With a lighter CD player on top, as opposed to a heavy TT, I think I would go with the standard foam. The high density stuff really doesn't compress as much as I thought it would. Like, almost none at all.

-Kelly

In the last picture, do I see the layers from bottom to top are foam, tile, and tile? I was expecting you to put the foam between the tiles (or is that what you did?)

Either way, I think this is a far better approach than the similar popular method of placing a slighty inflated small radius bike tube between two solid layers. I always wondered how those folks ever got the turntable to stay truly level. I've also seen people make a sand box kind of affair on which their turntable sits... I sure don't like the idea of having sand anywhere close to my table or records!

Your solution ensures the table is level, and your test confirms that it works well.

My turntable has a sprung subchassis that isolates (floats) the platter and arm from the main chassis. In fact, the subchassis has an additional sprung subsystem from itself that isolates the belt drive motor.

A final thought just comes to me... if you go to the trouble to make a thing like this, why not add one more helper - a sheet of fine mesh wire screen between the layers? Most folks have their components arrainged where the turntable is positioned above the amps. Having the sheet of metal screen serves to block any EM sources below it, might they be from the amps or CD players or other possibly EM noisy gear...things with integrated chips and clocking crystals.

You are seeing correctly. From bottom to top the order is foam, tile, tile. The only thing between the two tiles is adhesive. I attempted to lay the adhesive on thick, in hope of creating a second absorbing layer, but I have no idea how effective that was.

The EMI shield is a great idea, seeing as my TT sits on top of my SS tuner, which sits on top of my SS amp. [Y] My father was considering building this after he saw mine, maybe we will integrate that into the plans.

-Kelly