HELP: klipsch rp3 speakers / harmon kardon hk3370 reciever

arena

i'm running a pair of klipsch rp3s through a harmon/kardon hk3370 reciever and was wondering how exactly to to bi-wire the speakers. the back of the reciever has two sets of speaker outputs: under "speaker 1" there is two left and two right channel outputs, and under "speaker 2" there is two left and two right channel outputs, apparantly so you can hook up two different sets of speakers that can be used either simultaneously or one at a time. so there is a total of 8 speaker outs, and i was wondering if i can still get the benefits of bi-wiring by hooking up 2 pairs of speaker cable, so that the right and left channel outputs for "speaker 1" run right into the "hi in" terminals on the back of the right rp3, and the right and left channel outputs for "speaker 2" run right into the "low in" terminals on the back of the right rp3, and the left speaker is wired the same way as the right with the left "speaker 1" and "speaker 2" outputs being connected to the hi/low inputs on the left rp3. hopefully that makes sense.

basically, i have 8 speaker outs on the back of the reciever, and 8 speaker ins on the back of the speakers. will hooking the speakers up this way with 2 pairs of wire (4 pos/neg wires total) add the benefits of bi-wiring or do i have to splice the wires together at the back of the reciever?

also, the hk3370 is rated at 70 watts per channel. will my reciever be able to provide sufficient power if i wire it as described above?

thanks in advance for any help.

You will likely have 10 times the power needed for Klipsch speakers. Since you have RP-3s I doubt bi-wiring will provide any benefits at all. The woofer is self powered so you essentially have a bi-amped speaker system with only one set of speaker cables,

John

yea arena as john says probably no audible dif biwiring

w/ those but u could always try it.

i wouldn't use the terminals for the 2nd set of fronts (w/ an a+b setting). just as well to wire the 2 sets of speaker posts on the rp from the same set of corresponding posts on the hk. & then don'r forget to take the gold straps off the rp posts.

usually works just as well hooking the rp high level posts to the 1st speaker posts of the hk & strapping the low posts to the high w/ those gold connectors or your own wire.

then set sub:yes and run interconnects from the hk sub out to the LFE IN (nonfiltered) inputs of the rp's. whether you set them to large or small should make no audible difference but large seems to be the recommended way.

keith puts his powered towers to large and sets so LFE only goes to the sub output (& LFE IN on the rp), but not sure what the hk offers for settings there. just hook it up right as u like then play w/ the setting to see what you like (or if it even makes a dif to u).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

hey thanks for the help.

can you recommend what kind of interconnects to run from the sub out on my reciever to the lfe in on the back of the rp3s? the interconnects i have right now are too large to fit in the input jacks.

also, would you recommend splitting the sub out at the back of the reciever with a "y adapter" and running an interconnect to each lfe in?

thanks again for any help.

arena, i use a monsterbass 400 connect to my sub, but got that long ago. it's more than sufficient imho/ Smile.gif

sky's the limit there. i'd just make sure it's good quality w/ at least double shielding and solid core conductors, but that's just me. Smile.gif

you can do a Y from the receiver sub out jack, or you can buy 2 seperate interconnects and run the 2nd from 1

rp's lfe out to the lfe in of the other rp. same dif audiowise as it's just a mono signal.

------------------

My Home Systems Page