105 decibels. Worse, hearing loss tends to occur over time, unnoticed:
"If you keep introducing noise trauma to the ear, you can cause
permanent damage," says Theresa Shaw, Au.D., a senior audiologist at New
York University. So do this:

1. Turn it down

"If
the person next to you can hear what you're listening to on your iPod,
it's too loud," Shaw says. One study showed that an iPod exceeds 85
decibels when it's set between 60 percent and 70 percent capacity.

Hearing loss prevention is an interesting subject. for example, wearing cup protection only provides -20db of noise reduction, wearing ear inserted plugs provide -25db reduction, no one knows what wearing ear inserted plugs and cup protection at the same time provides, but I can tell you that it is not enough. apparently, sound can reach the inner ear from your mouth and nose path ways. so you basically have to put on a resperator and ear inserted plugs with cup protection and what ever you do, do not put your ipod head phones in your mouth and crank it up.

better yet don't listen via an IPOD

Okay, than what do you suggest I listen to on those long *** flights out west? I sure as hell won't listen to the airplane's "in-flight entertainment" system. Not only that but the gym where I work out plays some of the crappiest music on thier house system - would rather listen to silence than that.

Despite all the snooty audiosnobs out there that think otherwise, I find the iPod to be a perfectly fine way to listen to and enjoy music, especially with a good set of Klipsch earphones (assuming that one takes the hearing loss precautions as mentioned above, but then again, the same could be said for those that like to crank thier home stereos up at 120 dbs as well).

• 2 weeks later...

I too use an iPod while working out on the stationary bicycle. Some workouts last four hours or more, so good music is a must. The Klipsch earbuds (I use the S4i) are perfect for this. All my music is on the iPod and if a song comes on that I don't think works with a section of my workout, I hit the skip button.

And, thank goodness for good headphones (earbuds) from Klipsch!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea how to avoid listening to a crappy headset that will make you deaf while traveling via a plane, always buy an extra seat next to you. Bring a record player and an amp that run on batteries. Also bring a set to Fortes and a stack of your favorite records. Plug every thing in and enjoy. Or better yet see the country and drive out west, why take a long *** flight when you can travel the same distance via a longer *** drive. Simply purchase a 1957-1960 Chrysler Imperial which offered an optional in dash record player.