Horn history and comparrison....

moray james

Am wondering if anybody knows the design history of the K61K mid horn in the Forte ll and the K52 of the KLF 20? Has anybody done or have measurements of these horn? Has anybody done drect comparrisons between these two horns?Do they use the same driver? Are there any similarities between the K52 and the K-63-KN used in the CF-3 (aside from the throat size)?

I am also interested to know the reason why Klipsch went from Exponential to Tractrix mid horns in both the Forte and Chorus version ll's yet in the new Cornwal lll they have a Tractrix tweeter horn but an Exponential mid horn. The Tractrix profile in theory has fewer reflections and opens up more quickly so it should be the better sounding horn. There is not quite a s much loading or squeezing of the wave form in a Tractrix horn compared to an Exponential so the Exponential will provide a little more loading, does this translate into greater gain in an Exponential horn and is the Exponential a bit more directional? What are the reasons for which profile Klipsch chooses to use? Anybody know. Klipsch design staff care to jump in here? Thanks and regards Moray James.

I believe Paul Klipsch had studied the early Voigt tractrix horn from the 30's. Also I think Roy may have brought it to his attention and was eventually impressed with the performance and has since been the new horn of choice tractrix and modified tractrix horns. The Heresy now sports a tractrix tweeter.

• 2 weeks later...

Seti: have you had the opportunity to compare the mid of a Forte ll with the mid of a KLF20? Do you know any of the design history of these two horns? Have you come across comparrisons of these two speakers on the forum? Thanks for your response, this seems to be a bit of a black hole. No KLF20's about (in my area) to listen to. Best regards Moray James.

Seti: have you had the opportunity to compare the mid of a Forte ll with the mid of a KLF20? Do you know any of the design history of these two horns? Have you come across comparrisons of these two speakers on the forum? Thanks for your response, this seems to be a bit of a black hole. No KLF20's about (in my area) to listen to. Best regards Moray James.

Nope haven't compared them but there is lots of info on this forum. I am on the lookout for a pair of KLF30's though. I don't think you can go worng with either or even Chorus II's.