Custom 3s seem to die again!

iain7

I had my custom 3s replaced due to faulty wiring in the right ear about 3/4 of a year ago, and since then they've been fine. However, just after the cold weather hit the uk, the wire started to coil and kink unusually. It was almost as if the wire was twisting around inside the fabric coating! Even when totally straight, the wire would behave strangely, but as it didn't seem to make any effect on the wire's strength, I let it be (no point making a fuss over something so simple)

Skip forward a couple of months. I now started getting serious kinks right at the ends of the wire (where they connect to the earphones themselves). However as they'd already been replaced, I didn't want to make a fuss so I just treated them even more carefully. Strangely enough, there is now an error with the left ear, but it does not seem to be emanating from the kink next to the bud - instead I can make the sound turn on or off by slightly tilting the wire right by the jack. This is INCREDIBLY annoying as it means music suddenly stops playing in one ear all the time. I don't want to use the headphones any more incase they get even worse.

Does anyone know if there is some way I can fix these, in terms of the jack side and fixing the kinks? (would wrapping electrical tape round them or something work?) Even better, is there somewhere I can send them to be fixed, and would the warranty cover this? (or not :P) it's annoying that the same thing has happened to both my pairs of custom 3s!

Just to clarify, they are wound in loose figure of eight, with the final bit of wire looped round the middle of the '8', and then placed in the case along with spare earbuds etc. I keep my ipod seperately in my pocket. They do get daily use (~2 hours a day or less?) because they're the best damn headphones I've ever had, but I don't use them for anything other than my ipod, such as when I'm on the computer (this can easily stretch/damage headphones, so I use cheap ones).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your experiences...mine is pretty much the opposite.

I actually bought a second pair of C3's so that when my first pair died, I'd have them ready on the go... and they are STILL sitting in their unopened box.

I have used mine for hours on end while riding on a tractor cutting fields. I usually have these over them as general hearing protection

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/non_detail.cfm?prod_family=Muff H10&ind_prod_num=H10A HV001

(seems the link didn't copy all the way)

Anyways, I've carried mine to England, Italy and Turkey... use them at the Dr's office for when I get my sting allergy shots (and am required to sit there for an hour to make sure I don't die)

Yes, mine have the obligatory kinks in the cable and I don't much care for that but I can't think that I've pampered them either.

I wonder if they could have redesigned them where the ear pieces have a 1/8" type plug that goes in them such that the wire/plug could be replaced at will.

Probably not given the size of them. Too bad. I really like mine. I know the moment I give my extra set away, my pair will blow up.