Line Conditioner

m00n

Do you guys use line conditioners? The guy at magnolia hifi suggested I get one. Adds another $469.77 to the price. ACK!

------------------

m00n

-------------------------

System to come:

RF-3II Floorstanding

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-10 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

I don't own one for my stereo system, but I do own a battery backup/UPS for my computers. The theory here is that since I am always loosing monitors and power supplies on my computers, I attribute it to the crappy unclean power that my electric company supplies to me. Supposedly a good UPS will also filter the power and regulate it before delivering it to your computer. Since purchasing a UPS for my computer, I have not lost a power supply or monitor that was plugged into the UPS. I know that Monster Cable make power supplies that range from $39.95 to the $500 models. I don't know what specifically makes them different. I also don't know why it wouldn't be just as good to run to Best Buy an pick-up a $50 UPS intended for computer use, and use it instead for your Stereo equipment. Hopefully someone can guide us if there is any folly in that.

Do you need one? Depends upon how clean the power from your electric company to your outlet is. Can someone speak directly to the differences between computer UPS, the different levels of audio line conditioners, and why it is important to have a square sign wave feeding into your power supply?

This message has been edited by cc1091 on 04-14-2002 at 12:41 AM

My question is.. Is power really that bad in the US where you live?

Seeing your light bulbs dim/flicher at nights may not mean bad power but rather.. a fluctuation in the voltage power (ie. drop to 90 volts).

The purpose of the UPS for computer use it to provide a backup power when power outtage occurs. This has nothing to do with producing a perfect sine wave 60Hz in the power line. Producing distortion free power is what you would benefit in home audio and there are much better unit by other brands than what Monster offers. As far as the computer goes.. it basically doesn't care what kind of power it gets as long as the voltage is stable.

Looking at high-end amplifers and components. It only makes good sense that they engineer their power supply section of the unit to regulate and filter out the nasty noise from poor power sources. Having said that, i've often wondered why are companies like Monster trying to "Do the job of what high-end companies are suppose to do in their products?"

I've looked inside one of these Monster power line conditioners at Magnolia Hifi before. Quite honestly they don't use expensive parts inside and they basically ressemble closely to a high quality power supply section in a well design power amplifier - use of passive design parts. Passive filtering is good to a point.. but will it protect you from a power surge spikes that occur in s split microsecond? I don't think so. This was my friend's main arguement in the past on buying cheap power line regulators at Walmart. They simply don't work and most often, your unit gets fried and then your power surge protector trips - and it's all too late.

I guess in conclusion. My advice is to just try it out and SEE if you can HEAR the difference in sound quality. If you do get a big improvement in sound quality.. then i'd go blaming the amplifier/pre-amp/ etc. brand for not designing a good power supply.

In situations where you're setting up a recording studio, then yes by ALL means it's important to have clean power. Studio time is expensive and you never know when you will get the perfect cut from the band. But for home use... are you really gonna lose sleep just because your furnace or fridge kicks in?

BQ

------------------

Pareto Efficiency PREVAILS ALL!