3 channel stereo? Possible with a Scott 299c?

ACM

Hello all,

I am new to posting on this forum, though I've been lurking for a couple years (seriously). I haven't posted before because I could usually find the answers I needed by searching previous topics. Anyway, after a lot of searching I have aquired a Scott 299c.While rsearching this amp, I came across some threads mentioning the powered center channel, but it seems that another amp is required for this setup. Then, I came across an old heresy ad that a forum member had scanned recently mentioning the use of a heresy as a center, and the ad showed the speakers positive lead connected to both 4 ohm taps on an unknown amp, and the negative leads to each channels negative terminal, while connecting the right and left channel leads to the corresponging 8 ohm taps. I am using a pair of Cornwalls with Fastrac wood mid horns and stock B2 crossovers with new sonic caps. I also have a pair of Heresy I's. Can I employ the setup mentioned in the ad with my Scott, using the Heresy as a center channel? Thanks is advance for any input. This forum is wonderful resource, and I have enjoyed reading all the different information immensely.

Adam

Hey Adam, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums. We're glad you're here!

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone who knows more about the 299c will come along shortly.

I just wanted to say Hi and it's about time you joined, we've seen you lurking! [;)]

Dennie

Someone else here did something similar but were unhappy with the results.

I started using the center channel (derived) out to get a signal to a Sunfire sub. I had to dial it WAY back but it is fun with some music. ...as if the Cornwalls don't have enough bass already!

Find a Scott 99 mono amp to power the Heresy and you will be happier, me thinks.

Welcome Adam,

I can't really help you with your question directly either but I am sure someone will.

I use my Scott 299 with a separate mono amp for my third (center) channel. I don't know and I wouldn't try until I heard from someone here about hooking up the center channel speaker directly to the two channel taps. Could be some unpleasant impeadance issues for the amp.

I believe there were unpowered center outputs on the early model 299's and later models had a powered center output. When I had my center out coming from the 299 I felt it pulled down the two main channels a little so I had to increase volume, no big deal. The amp certainly has the power to run your Cornwalls and a Heresy very nicely.

In practice try to set the two channel volume to the level you like and then bring up the center volume with your eyes closed until you can just start to make out a fullness in the center. Don't overpower the center or it can detract from the sound stage.