Klipschorn amp/preamp/receiver combo

Trailrunner

Hi - newbie looking for some info. I just picked up a pair of 1981 walnut khorns for $1200 and I'm in love with them. They look and sound great. Currently they are mated with a Denon AVR-1700 receiver (70 wpc I think) and a cheap sony cd player. From what I've read the Denon receiver isn't a good match. I'm reading that low watt tubes are the way to go and that I need a separate preamp/amp system instead of a receiver. Specific advice for someone new to this world is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi - newbie looking for some info. I just picked up a pair of 1981 walnut khorns for $1200 and I'm in love with them. They look and sound great. Currently they are mated with a Denon AVR-1700 receiver (70 wpc I think) and a cheap sony cd player. From what I've read the Denon receiver isn't a good match. I'm reading that low watt tubes are the way to go and that I need a separate preamp/amp system instead of a receiver. Specific advice for someone new to this world is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Tubes add character (technically distortion) think of it as non digital single reflex camera (SLR)( the kind of camera that Playboy used in 1981), compared to modern day high end D-SLR. Same accuracy, but less precision. I also believe newer technology is 51% better than current technology. Having no idea what you budget is, the Peachtree Nova is a great receiver for today. Google search the name. If you wish to do room correction then any Audyssey MulitEQ eqiupped receiver will do a decent job. Do you plan on getting into computer audio? Do you want SACD/DVD-Audio capability?

I am currently driving my 60th Ann K-Horns from a Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver in my HT setup.

Recently in 2 channel, I have used an NAD M3 (SS integrated), a PrimaLuna Prologue Two (integrated KT88 tube)

I really liked the PrimLuna, but I have some SET 300B amps that I need to hookup once I get a nice pre to go with them.

For the right price, the M3 is a good unit, very dependable, predictable sound out of it with several mediums for playback. A little pricey at retail though.

From a bargain perspecitve, I tried a Marantz PM5004 and thought it sounded great for the price!

You've definitely got the speakers which allow you to use low watt tubes. I personally love SET sound, and would encourage you to try some out. Depending on the particular amps, you may or may not need a pre-amp, it all depends.

300B SETs: the creme de la creme of single ended, direct heated triode amps. Typically wicked expensive, and require proper design to reach their potential, which many brands seem to have missed. Tread carefully.

2A3: Also highly regarded, dht SETs, with correspondingly high tube prices. I recently saw a pair of Wright 2A3's on Audiogon for $800. That would be something to keep an eye out for.

Various pentode-wired-as-triode amps...don't rule these out. Decware, for example, offers extremely nice sounding, high value gear, and neither the amps nor the tubes are expensive. The amps of this type I've heard seem less 'tubey' than the 2A3's and 300B's regarding midrange bloom, perhaps better for someone with SS sensibilites taking their first foray into tubes. This type of amp can range from affordable amps like Decware, to ridiculously expensive such as Serious Stereo at $12K for a pair of monoblocks.

PP tubes are more powerful, and lack the SET magic, but they do sidestep the primary SET weakness, low power. And pp tubes will still probably tickle your ears and synapses more favorably than SS. They also run the gamut from affordable to ridiculously expensive. User 'NOSvalves' could probably hook you up with a ST-70 which would rock your world for a reasonable price.

Whichever way you go, prepare for some musical enjoyment! Tubes rule!

I am very happy with my 300B SET tube amp, but good vintage Yamaha SS from the 1970s also sounds pretty good with my K-horns. I have a Yamaha CA-1010 integrated amp hooked up to my K-horns in addition to the tubes. For background music I use the Yamaha. It doesn't have the harsh sound that I have experienced with other SS equipment I have used (Sony ES and Adcom), is easy to find, and can be had for a reasonable price. I also have a CR-2020 receiver that sounds quite good with them as well.