Comparing Klipsch and Axiom Bookshelves to buy Towers?

DanLW

Well, I have come down to a decision between Klipsch and Axiom. I'm looking at the RF-7II centered system, and an M80 centered system. However, I don't want to hear opinions about the two as I have read enough RF-7 vs M80 threads. I am to the point where I want to just buy a pair of both, level match them, have a few friends over, do some listening, and send the loser back for a refund.

Here's the problem. The military currently has me stationed in Germany, and tower speakers are too big and heavy to be sent to an APO address. Standard international shipping involves extraordinary extra cost. And while Klipsch has dealers in Germany, they charge over $1000 more (and that's before the 16% VAT tax) I won't be getting back to the states for 3 1/2 years, but I'd still like to compare the two. So, I have come up with an alternative, but I'm not sure if it will be a good comparison.

My idea is to buy a pair of Klipsch RB-81 IIs, and a pair of Axiom M22s Both are bookshelf speakers. I'll set both of those up, and compare the sound of the bookshelves. After all, everybody always talks about the "Klipsch sound" or the "Axiom sound". The loser gets returned, and I'll keep the bookshelves of the winner either for rear surround channels or presence channels.

But is it a good idea and a fair comparison to base a purchase decision of either RF7s or M80s off the bookshelf speakers of both companies? As I understand, the RB-81 IIs are still in the reference line. But I'd hate to choose one brand off the sound of their bookshelf, when I would ultimately have enjoyed the other brand's tower better.

Comparing the respective offerings, both the RF-7 and RB81 have the same type tweeters and woofers (with the RF7s being simply larger). Looks like with Axiom, the M22 uses one 1" titanium tweeter, and two 5.25" woofers. In essence, the only real difference between the M22 and M80 is the M80 has a larger cabinet, an extra tweeter, and two 6.5" woofers in addition to the two 5.25" midranges.

So, should I seriously consider such a comparison in order to decide between the RF-7IIs and M80s?

Thank you!

Can I make a suggestion? Your housing situation is going to change a few times until you are out of the military and settled into a new life. Maybe it would be best to buy a pair of Heresys (easily boxed and moved) and keep those forever. When your life settles down, then it might be time to get a big pair of towers. I know I wouldn't want to move my main system around that much but a pair of Heresys and a small amp will make a great little set-up.

P.S. Just get the Klipsch, you'll like the efficiency.

Looks like I should have clarified that I will ultimately be piecing together a home theater system, not a 2 channel music system. Not too concerned about moving them a couple times. I'll keep the packaging, and the movers get to do the heavy lifting.

Part of me does just want to get a Klipsch system, but after tons and tons of research, and 8 years of looking, it has come down to these two brands. So I want to give each a fair shake, and get what sounds best to me. The folks over on the Axiom board have expressed every bit of confidence in the M22s ability to represent the "Axiom sound". Now I just need to determine if the RB-81 IIs would be a good representative of the "Klipsch sound" I can expect from a pair of RF-7s.

Thanks!

OK, I tried........

To answer your question, I have a pair of RF-25s. The Klipsch RF tower strengths are efficiency, warm sound, good bass and dynamics. You'll lose some of that with bookshelf speakers. You'll be able to assemble a good system with either brand.

Can I make a suggestion? Your housing situation is going to change a few times until you are out of the military and settled into a new life. Maybe it would be best to buy a pair of Heresys (easily boxed and moved) and keep those forever. When your life settles down, then it might be time to get a big pair of towers. I know I wouldn't want to move my main system around that much but a pair of Heresys and a small amp will make a great little set-up.

P.S. Just get the Klipsch, you'll like the efficiency.

+1 I'll second Russ's recommendation.

I posted an opinion at AVS but I don't think the RB-81s are going to give you an accurate representation what the RF-7IIs will do...That being said, these would come closer: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-75-overview/ but they were discontinued and I am still waiting to hear a response on this thread: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/78287.aspx?PageIndex=2 which I think could be enlightening. [8-|]

I can promise you that you will not get the same quality of sound from either bookshelf speaker and such a comparison is completely irrelevant to the performance of the floor standing towers. The RF-7 II, for example has greatly extended bass response--one of its strong points--and the horn is not just bigger, it crosses over at 1200 Hz, which definitely improves the clarity and impact of the midrange/treble. The size of any speaker enclosure is very important to the design and sound and larger is better.

To use an analogy, what you propose would be like comparing a Ford Fiesta and a Chevy Vega when you are really interested in a Camaro SS and a Mustang Cobra, but can't test drive them in your location. It is pointless.

I know that the RF-7s dig deeper than the bookshelves. Thats why if I do this comparison, I'll be crossing over both sets of bookshelves at 80Hz so as to eliminate the differing bass extensions.

The crossover point, on the other hand, is a good point. So, you're saying that since the RB81 has a horn crossed over at a different frequency, the RB81 will have a different "sound" than the RF-7?

I should probably specify what I would be doing. If I do compare bookshelves, I won't be listening for low end extension (like I said, crossed over at 80Hz). I also won't be SPL drag racing them, as it's obvious that these are not going to go as loud as their tower brethren. Rather, I will be listening for quality of sound, and treble clarity, harshness, etc.

The room I will be using will be fully acoustically treated as a home theater room. This will include a back wall treatment which, I have heard, reduces "harsness" in speakers regarded as "harsh". (which both Klipsch and Axiom have been accused of)

So basically, if I eliminate low frequency extension, and maximum SPL from the equation, you're saying that the RB81 will have a distinctly different "sound" than the Rf-7?

So basically, if I eliminate low frequency extension, and maximum SPL from the equation, you're saying that the RB81 will have a distinctly different "sound" than the Rf-7?

I guess "distinctly," is in the ears of the beholder but given the different Crossover network, Compression driver, Horn and LF drivers I can't see the RB-81 giving you an idea to what the RF-7s will do.

I guess "distinctly," is in the ears of the beholder but given the different Crossover network, Compression driver, Horn and LF drivers I can't see the RB-81 giving you an idea to what the RF-7s will do.

Ok, something to definitely think about and consider. I wonder how hard it would be to get my hands on a couple RB75s. I guess the real thing I'm comparing is whether or not I prefer the "forward in your face" horn sound, or the not quite as forward "standard" tweeter sound. But from what I understand, if Klipsch bookshelves are "harsh" to some, the RF7s will be "less harsh". But then again, harsh is probably a word used by people who don't like the Klipsch sound.

I wonder if I can find a pair of used RF7s on the German market...

] Ok, something to definitely think about and consider. I wonder how hard it would be to get my hands on a couple RB75s. .... I wonder if I can find a pair of used RF7s on the German market...

It would be easier getting your hands of the RF-7 than the RB-75...Even when they weren't discontinued they were hard to come by here in the usa. The RF-7s are supposed to be legendary in Germany and here is where you may want to start: http://www.klipsch-direct.de/index.html

Btw, where in Germany are you? I lived in Bad Godesburg, outside of Bonn for 4 years.

So, you're saying that since the RB81 has a horn crossed over at a different frequency, the RB81 will have a different "sound" than the RF-7?

You are basically going into a restaurant and ordering a shrimp cocktail and trying deciding if the prime rib is any good. Klipsch doesn't make all the different models so they can all sound the same. Each model fills a particular price range and/or performance criteria. If a Klipsch loudspeaker sounds harsh, it's generally because they are being fed crap. They will not cover up a bad recording, perhaps like some soft dome tweeters might. Anyway, buy the Klipsch speaker you can afford and go from there.

It would be easier getting your hands of the RF-7 than the RB-75...Even when they weren't discontinued they were hard to come by here in the usa. The RF-7s are supposed to be legendary in Germany and here is where you may want to start: http://www.klipsch-direct.de/index.html

Btw, where in Germany are you? I lived in Bad Godesburg, outside of Bonn for 4 years.

I did a search for the RF-7s on google.de, and I'm afraid to mention the results... RF-7s left and right going for 850 Euros! Now, these are the original RF-7s... the RF-7 IIs go for 1900 Euros each. But from everything I've read, the original RF-7s sound very close to the new RF-7s. So my only issue would be finding an RC-7. Those were nowhere to be found. From what I understand, the RC-64II don't tone match to the original RF-7s.

If I can still get a pair of classic RF-7s at that price by the time I'm ready to buy (Jan 2012), I may just forgo comparisons altogether and buy them. Looks like I need to research RF-7 center channel combos...

I did a search for the RF-7s on google.de, and I'm afraid to mention the results... RF-7s left and right going for 850 Euros! Now, these are the original RF-7s... the RF-7 IIs go for 1900 Euros each. But from everything I've read, the original RF-7s sound very close to the new RF-7s. So my only issue would be finding an RC-7. Those were nowhere to be found. From what I understand, the RC-64II don't tone match to the original RF-7s.

I would think the RC-7 would be a better match than the newer RC-64II, but then again the RB-75s were designed to go with the original RC-7 and RF-7s, but look at Steve Phillips response on this Thread: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/145056/1493828.aspx#1493828

Looks like I should have clarified that I will ultimately be piecing together a home theater system, not a 2 channel music system.

Heresy speakers work fine in a home theatre system. The clarity on vocals and everything else makes movies a pleasure to hear. I'm using a pair of Heresy IIs as surrounds and a Heresy III as rear centre.

You could even have an affordable setup with 5, 6, or 7 Heresy speakers. That would give you ideal timbre matching and you'd have relatively compact (by Klipsch standards) speakers.

Well, I'll put this thread to rest by making a decision. Since the discontinued Reference lines sell at attractive prices in Germany, I will most likely go that route. There seem to be several RF-7s, and RF-83s to be had. I'm leaning towards the RF-83 as there are also RC-64s out there which timbre match the Rf-83s, whereas I haven't seen any RC-7s for sale, and I'd hate to buy a pair of RF-7s, and then never get my hands on an RC-7.

Hopefully they will still be widely available by the time I am ready to buy in 11 months (the countdown has begun!)... it would be even nicer if I could find a store that had both a pair of RF-7s and RF-83s set up so I could audition them both!