Mcintosh mc 30 and Mcintosh mc 30 Kit

Taz

Neigbor has Mcintosh mc 30 and mc 30 kit. He has been trying to sell these to me for a while. I finally asked about them and he hunted them up, cleaned them up and wants me to come see. Dave Shekleton expressed intrest in these and I suggested to Dennis that he might get more from Dave then I can afford to pay. He expressed no intrest, and did not even take dave's phone number. He has given me more equipment $$$ wise then what he is asking, so I guess I'm stuck. Does anyone have suggestions on what to use for pre amps for these? I have thought of just hooking them up to CD player with adjustable volume and graphic equlizer but don't know if this is wise. They will certainly go to the shop before I power them up. Oh, Dennis said he has wiring diagram and owners manual.

Sorry Dave, but if things change, I still have your phone #.

Best preamp for a pair of MC30 would be the C22 or C20.

Second best preamp for MC30 would be an MX110.

All three fit the MC30 sonics like a glove. I spent a good couple of years having my two MC30 pairs and MX110 refurbished (and with great assistance from tech-minded forum members); on the Belle Klipsch the midrange is legend.

The MC30s are so divine I own two pairs (diffierent coupling caps for a modest change in the sonic finish). I have written extensively on this topic.

I would hesitate to recommend as a LONG TERM solution using the gain pots on the MC30 as a volume control. It's an OK way to try them out, though, once they have passed snuff on the bench. The MC30 deserve an appropriate matching MC pre from that era to really make them shine.

Looks like I'll have to take my time on this. Pre amps seem to be going for more then the amp. Going to need a bigger box when I go, just may have to take some equipment with me.[;)] I will be on the look out though. Going to have to turn the downstairs into Music Cave.

Well I went and looked, went to bank,don't do checks, then brought home Mcintosh mc 30 and Mcintosh mc 30 Kit. Look like new on the outside, no scratches, pitting, faded paint, perfect appearance on the outside. The decals appear 100%. The Kit however shows signs of heat below power tranformer. I hope it's not serious. When I came back with the $$$ Dennis had found the pre amp that he had built and used with the units. He didn't seem impressed with it and threw it in for free. (Lafayette stereo Master Control Center). All must go to the shop for check up. I'll still be on the look out for matching pre amp. However the tax man hit us harder then expected. Have to wait a little longer to get custom heritage speakers.

Cornwall or LaScala in Redwood Burl. Suggestions as to which is best for these mc30's? Probably the more expensive ones. By the way Amy said they expect to continue business as usual under new ownership. I hope so.