Attenuation

vnzbd

I was viewing another thread here on the forum that concerned a hum coming from 1 channel of an Emotiva XPA-5 and Emotivas suggestion to use attenuators to solve the issue. That was followed by several members who had used attenuators with positive results. While I do have the XPA-5 I do not have any noise issues. Two of the channel run my Chorus IIs which have freshened crossovers. My issue has been more bass at lower volume levels and not wanting to add a sub as I live in a townhouse and would like to maintain a good relationship with my neighbors. In a previous thread on concerning more bass at a lower volume level, I have experimented with advice from Jackson Bart by not boosting the bass but cutting the highs. This has made a favorable impact. My thought process is that because this is centered at the freq of the treble control, it is certainly not a linear responce. My new thought is to make the Chorus IIs bi-wireable and push the mid/highs and the lows off of differnet channels in the XPA-5. For the mid/high channel I could add an in line attenuator to the input, decreasing the level from 3-6 db. I believe this would achieve a similar effect to the cut I have put on the highs with the change of it covering the entire range covered by the mid/high drivers. It would appear to be a cheap and easy experiment.

Has anyone out there tried anything similar to this and if so how were the results?

As usual, thanks for the feedback!

Not to get too far off the track, but have you tried changing the positioning of the speakers as a means of bass enhancement? Because of varied room responses, combined with reflections/absorptions, sometimes moving speakers even a couple of inches can greatly increase bass output, change treble response, etc. In some rooms, moving the speakers closer together creates an additive effect in the bass without significantly affecting soundstaging and imaging. In my own amp voicing room, I am able to get bass ouput which my speakers should be incapable of based on their specification; this achieved by experimenting with their location. The method of reducing treble to increase perceived bass has always worked- the majority of antique radios, including some respected consoles, used treble attenuation to "increase" bass, and it is quite effective indeed.

I have tried positioning the speakers in multiple positions and have heard some change in bass output but it is not enough of a change to end my quest. At higher volume levels the bass does come alive and is quite satisfying. I do listen at the lower volume level for 80-90% of the time.