Seeking The Most Cost-Effective La Scala Guts Rehab

paul32579

OK, Orange Country Speaker will charge 130.00/pr to recone the K-33s. New replacements from BC are 230.00. From what I'm "hearing," the BC replacements might perform a bit better. Since I personally like "new," I think I'll see how the BC replacements perform.

Going with the 4500 crossovers, CT tweeters, and keeping the 400s.

I don't want to get too carried away. I have Khorns as it is.

You guys are something else -- in the best possible way. You care. Thanks for helping another newbie.

Bob's woofs spec out better than the Klipsch woofs,plus they go lower

They also have a bit higher SPL, which is perfect for Cornscala and I would reccomend them anyday for that application, however for Lascala's the woofers tend to steal the show, and the mids get buried in the background. I made the mistake of selling my Lascala's K-33s when I installed the CW1526s took me a while to find the originals to put back in.

The Crites tweeter is fine, a bit lower in spl than the o/e.

This is puzzling. If LSs are weak in the bass department, wouldn't a higher SPL woofer be a good thing in them? Or do they rattle the plywood?

They also have a bit higher SPL, which is perfect for Cornscala and I would reccomend them anyday for that application, however for Lascala's the woofers tend to steal the show, and the mids get buried in the background. I made the mistake of selling my Lascala's K-33s when I installed the CW1526s took me a while to find the originals to put back in.

This is puzzling. If LSs are weak in the bass department, wouldn't a higher SPL woofer be a good thing in them? Or do they rattle the plywood?

The Lascala bass is weak below 50hz, by replacing your bass driver with a higher SPL driver you are no only increasing spl at 50hz, but the frequencies to 400 or better. You'll see what I am talking about. You might prefer the Crites, but I would hold on to those k33s just in case. When I did the testing on the k-33's I have one rebuilt by Orange County Speaker, one original and a pair of Crites. The Rebuilt K33 was 1 db hotter than the O/E K-33 and the both of the Crites were nearly 3db hotter than the O/E. When I inquired about the additional spl I was told the Crites woofer was modeled after the Later model K-33 which is a bit hotter than the early k-33. This is a reasonable explanation, and accounts for what I was hearing.

Craig

The Lascala bass is weak below 50hz, by replacing your bass driver with a higher SPL driver you are no only increasing spl at 50hz, but the frequencies to 400 or better. You'll see what I am talking about. You might prefer the Crites, but I would hold on to those k33s just in case. When I did the testing on the k-33's I have one rebuilt by Orange County Speaker, one original and a pair of Crites. The Rebuilt K33 was 1 db hotter than the O/E K-33 and the both of the Crites were nearly 3db hotter than the O/E. When I inquired about the additional spl I was told the Crites woofer was modeled after the Later model K-33 which is a bit hotter than the early k-33. This is a reasonable explanation, and accounts for what I was hearing.

Craig

Craig,

You were told wrong. The CW1526 is modeled after the earlier K-33E built before 1985. Main difference is that the later model K-33 has a resonate frequency of 34 hz, where the CW1526 has a resonate frequency of 26hz like the pre-1985 K-33E.

Bob Crites

Well, I saw another suggestion while surfing the forum:

Keep the K-33s, get the AL-3 networks, and use the K-401s!

Well, using the K-33s is out the question until they are rebuildable. So, on to CT-125s...

That leaves me with the 4500 network and my 400s vs AL-3 and 401s.

Daddy Dee really seemed to like the 4500 network on the 400s in another thread.

WWYD?

Craig

Craig,

You were told wrong. The CW1526 is modeled after the earlier K-33E built before 1985. Main difference is that the later model K-33 has a resonate frequency of 34 hz, where the CW1526 has a resonate frequency of 26hz like the pre-1985 K-33E.

Bob Crites

My K-33s are 1976 vintage. If the CW1526 is modeled after these older types, what's the expeced difference in sound between using my rebuilt ones vs the CW1526, if any? Do speaker magnets "age"? Any special nuances to older woofers worth preserving?

Bob Crites

Thanks for the correction Bob. Regaurdless of what I was told, the CW-1526 woofers I have now exhibit higher spl than my original K-33's.

Bob , this is not a shot at your product, and it maybe an isolated thing, but these woofers are fine in my Cornwalls however and not good in my Lascala's.

Enough about the woofers, Looks like his mind is made up to go with the CW1526 regaurdless.

Enjoy your Critescala's.[:D]

Craig

I have the original K-33s, K-55s and K400** horns in my La Scalas. I replaced the AL crossover with a DHA2 that I built, and put in the CT125s of Bob's. Sweet!!!! While the CT125s are still in place, I have since placed Eminence APT150s on a separate baffle on the top of the cabinets. The APT150s (at the time I got them) have the same driver as Bob's tweeter repacement, but use a larger 100x50 horn.

Bob's tweeter is a no brainer. I would still be happy if I was using them, but one of my sons had purchased the Eminence for a project and then didn't need them.... so they ended up with me.

With my crossovers, I cut the mids down a bit with the autoformer, and the balance for me is super.

My two cents...

Bruce

** The K400 is the metal horn, the K401 is a composite material.

No, no, my mind isn't made up at all! It might be better to get the original K-33s rebuilt. That's why I asking...I'd really like your input. I'd like BC to weigh in, too....it's a worthy subject, no?

You may like the sound of the Crites woofers in your Lascala's they were just not for me. In point of fact I have never seen anyone else run into the same issues with the woofers that I did.

I am certainly not going to argue or debate with Bob Crites. I have respect for him and the products and services he provides.

Craig

No, no, my mind isn't made up at all! It might be better to get the original K-33s rebuilt. That's why I asking...I'd really like your input. I'd like BC to weigh in, too....it's a worthy subject, no?

You may like the sound of the Crites woofers in your Lascala's they were just not for me. In point of fact I have never seen anyone else run into the same issues with the woofers that I did.

I am certainly not going to argue or debate with Bob Crites. I have respect for him and the products and services he provides.

Craig

Craig, you ARE talking about the stamped-steel framed woofers, not the cast ones, right?

Craig, you ARE talking about the stamped-steel framed woofers, not the cast ones, right?

The cast frame model needs to have the frame 'trimmed' a little to fit in the doghouse of the LaScala.Or remove a bit of wood from the inside of the doghouse o the inside left and right sides.

Bruce