next upgrad for split CornScala's (2way?)

justinsweber

hey Everyone,

I have a wonderful setup currently, Split Corn Scalas (eminence Kappa 15 c for the bottom). K400/K55, Selenium D220ti up top.

That said, I have been planing a move to 2" horn (JBL knockoff) I just saw on Bob Crites site that he now has made a 2way Cornscala (Faital HF200 driver) and a match crossover.

Option 1. 3way Selenium D220ti, M2380 horn/Selenium D405

Opttion 2. 2way M2380 horn/Faital HF200

I already have the D405 and D220ti but if the 2way is that much better then changing course now woudl be worth while.

Sugestions?

I will vote for Option 2 but am biased since I was thinking the two way also.

I just emailed Bob about the M2380 JBL clone and also asked about the CS500 two way crossover for this. Here is his response -- "Just this last weekend, we finalized the 2-way crossover for the Cornscala.
It is a 2nd order on both the LF and HF and uses an autotransformer. Yes, the
crossover point is 500hz."

Guest David H

It seems Faital HF200 has a remarkably flat response for a compression driver. That said, can a near "textbook" crossover be used or does it need HF compensation? I guess I should have asked first does the ALK AP-12 600 have HF comp?

The AP-12 600 does not have HF compensation and the Faital pro doesn't seem to need it.

OK, help me out with this. The resonance of the HF200 appears to be about 540 Hz as indicated by an impedance peak. Is there an issue (or compromises) with crossing over lower than this frequency? Apparently not in this case, but in general is this avoided with HF drivers?

Also, let me get this straight. Even though the specs call for <no lower than> a 12db crossover at 900 Hz, in fact Bob has it crossed at 500 Hz (12 db) and furthermore has tested it even lower, according to his website -- "I have run this driver at high power (around 100 watts per channel) for
quite awhile with no problems crossed at 400hz (?db/octave?) in a Cornscala. The
Cornscala does not need to cross that low, but the test proved the
Faital Pro HF200 drivers should be safe crossed at 400hz in a Khorn."

So this is one rugged, accurate driver indeed. Seems like a bargain to me.