Update-- Help with Used La Scala

Hello,

I posted a few days ago about some used La Scalas I was looking into. Well, I got them; WOW! I am going to keep them a few days while I think about them. They are appx. 10 yr old from what the owner tells me, serial numbers 8642599 & 8642600. The mid and tweeter are k-77 and k-55-m. The cabinets have a few small scratches and dings, but they sound great. The imaging is incredible! They lack the low end that I like, is this normal? My Velodyne more then makes up for it but I want to make sure the woofer driver is good. Is there a way to check it?

Everything is in order as far as I can tell, I think that he is going to get my $1000.

Well I gotta go listen more, please let em know what you think.

Thanks for the help, then and now!

Have a great day!

This message has been edited by Rob's Klipsch on 04-16-2002 at 07:44 PM

Rob,

Sounds like you got some nice speakers! Chances are if you hear ANY bass the woofers are ok. ONne way to check them is to connect an ohmmeter right across the input posts of the speaker. This will be measuring the woofer DC resistance. I will be something less then 4 Ohms. Make sure BOTH speakers read the same, no matter what it is. If both measure INFINITY though, you got trouble!

Another way is to touch a flashlight battery (1.5V cell) across the speaker input. You should hear a thump.

Al K.

I used a system of the split Industrial La Scala's in College at Indiana University in the early to mid 80's. I also felt not enough "punch" in the low end, so I bought a pair of Peavey "Mark 111" bass bins. (They were simular to the La Scala design..had great SPL's and very clean) I crosed them over with a electronic x over and a separate amp. The system was not a fuzzy boom box, but one that really had solid lows and screamed.(And nicer having the La Scalas higher...and highs up above the crowd too...)

There was this other DJ that also had the split industrial La Scalas and we one time used all 4 speakers... with the two bass bins on top of one another with the highs on top of those... Ok not again low lows that pounded you... BUT OMG the clearaty and SPL's that day were incredible in an outdoor Little 500 Event.

Just my 2 cents..

BTW, I sold the La Scalas for about 800 dollars my senior year. For what it is worth, I STILL lose sleep over that.