Upgrading my Fronts and AVR

iRIDEWAKES

I'm currently using Infintity's for my Mains and CC and want to replace them to match up with my Klipsch RSX-4's.

I also need to upgrade my Receiver and find one that will pair well with my new Fronts/CC.

Thinking
RF-52 II's and RC-42 II with Denon AVR, I like bright sound but with my
Yamaha it seems wearing and will probably be more so with a new Klipsch
frontend.

Just got Velodyne DLS 3750R sub

Any suggestions would be appreciated still very new to HT, Thanks!

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using Infintity's for my Mains and CC and want to replace them to match up with my Klipsch RSX-4's.

I also need to upgrade my Receiver and find one that will pair well with my new Fronts/CC.

Thinking RF-52 II's and RC-42 II with Denon AVR, I like bright sound but with my Yamaha it seems wearing and will probably be more so with a new Klipsch frontend.

Just got Velodyne DLS 3750R sub

Any suggestions would be appreciated still very new to HT, Thanks!

Shaun

Although i do not own the AVR-791, i am a denon fan and after helping several people with choosing an AVR, the 791 is the cheapest denon that i feel is worth buying and will actually perform. Its really a no frills no bs receiver that will do the job and gives you options. If you have a larger budget set for your receiver, let us know and we can further assist you with suggestions.

The great thing about having those rsx-4's as rears is that they are rears! You dont have to be as concerned with timbre and tonal matching as you do with your fronts. I would actually suggest you get the rf-52 II and the rc-52 II. Those two match better than using the rc-42 II. The rc-42 II is really geared for the rf-42 II's. It seems to me you were trying to match the center to the rears? Rears are used about 20%, your center is used about ~70% and your left/right are used constantly for music and should be balanced with the center as many of the sounds move fluidly through the frontal sound stage.

My only other suggestion to you would be to sell the rsx-4's and buy the corresponsing bookshelf surround or actual surround speaker to complete the system fully to have everything balance 100% properly. Of course, you may not want to sell them, thats ok! your system will sound great anyways, this is just if you are going to be super stickler. The rsx series isnt produced anymore so getting it to tonally match 100% as designed will only happen if you buy the correct corresponding pieces. Again, this is ok, chances are that these speakers will sound very fluid together as is!

Just to note! those rsx-4's have a sensitivty of 90db, not terribly efficient for klipsch speakers. The speakers you have now will require about 200% more power to drive to the same volume as the new speakers you want. Be prepared to adjust the gain for those rear channels on your receiver to help compoensate. You want to be able to hear the sounds coming from those channels at lower volumes.

Hopefully i helped and didnt confuse, good luck!

Thanks for the input. Like I said I'm still new to HT but everything you said made sense. As far as the 791 goes I got a call today saying that it was being discontinued and so my local dealer offered me a 1911 for the same sale price as the open box 791 at BB that they were going to match. $399 for the 1911! I just saw it on sale there a few weeks ago for $580. I'm going to pick it up tonight, Can't wait:)

Got the new Denon home, did the setup, put it in pure direct mode and an hour went by like nothing, just sat there listening to Octane,HHNation, and Area. Wow.........Didn't expect such a dramatic improvement over my Yamaha. Aside from the sound quality, there there is so much seperation if you listen, not to mention how wide the soundstage is as well as focused if that makes sense.

Congrats! Its amazing how each company can have its own sound and dynamic to it. Many swear by yamaha, i never cared to really try them out after being so happy with my denon and emotiva setup. Onkyo was pretty clean sounding too but i prefer denon of them.