What is the better way to connect a subwoofer to my amplifier?

rjrbass

My amplifier, Marantz PM7200, does not have preamp outputs, or a subwoofer output. It does have Signal Processor/Equalizer inputs and outputs. I have the option to connect my active subwoofer with line in/out or speakers in/out. I have it connected to the Signal Processor/Equalizer inputs and outputs. Is this preferred over using the speaker inputs/outputs?

Thanks - Richard

I'm with BigCliff. Run your L and R speaker wires to the sub amp high level in connectors. Run speaker wires from the high level output connectors on the sub amp to your speakers. Adjust your crossover to whatever sounds best.

That wont work for a sub, you'll have to use speaker wire hookup.

+ 1In addition, once the subwoofer is connected in that fashion, the mains still require a high-pass filter in the form of an active crossover network, like an old Outlaw ICBM-1 for example. The Signal Processor / EQ I/O's are where you'd insert that device to accomplish that.

That wont work for a sub, you'll have to use speaker wire hookup.

+ 1

In addition, once the subwoofer is connected in that fashion, the mains still require a high-pass filter in the form of an active crossover network, like an old Outlaw ICBM-1 for example. The Signal Processor / EQ I/O's are where you'd insert that device to accomplish that.

Why would he need a high pass filter? Just run a full signal to the mains and adjust the crossover on the sub to take up where the mains roll off.

Why would he need a high pass filter? Just run a full signal to the mains and adjust the crossover on the sub to take up where the mains roll off.

Although this makes perfect sense, and will work audibly to some extent. To do so, would not be taking full advantage of the capabilities of a component subwoofer. By high passing the mains, the owner can plunk the crossover frequency in the linear regions of both the subwoofer and mains, opposed to hooking it out on the lower end of the main's bandpass, where all kinds of phase chaos can be taking place. In addition, when boundary loaded and strategically placed, a component subwoofer is very likely to perform better than the mains in the bass range all together. The total components required to pull off a good sub install can be expensive and tedious to implement correctly, but they sound so-darn-good when done right. To recap, although hooking it up and dialing it in where the mains roll off may suffice, in practice, it is far from a better way to hook up a sub to an amp.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I will be making the changes this weekend, going with the speaker inputs. The sub does have a high pass crossover that I can set to either 80 or 100 Hz. Since my speakers are LaScala, I will use the 80 Hz. Wish that it had a lower setting, as I love the bass from the LaScala, just not sufficiently deep.

Thanks all - Richard

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I will be making the changes this weekend, going with the speaker inputs. The sub does have a high pass crossover that I can set to either 80 or 100 Hz. Since my speakers are LaScala, I will use the 80 Hz. Wish that it had a lower setting, as I love the bass from the LaScala, just not sufficiently deep.

Thanks all - Richard

If you have A/B speaker outputs and can run them at the same time; you can run the sub off the B and not have to cut off to your LaScalas.