1950s Khorn question w/Altce 511bs

The Dude

Not that I don't trust the source which is a well respected member around these parts and is very knowledgeable. But I wanted to get a couple opinions on the matter. I was told that the earlier K-horns had a 6x13 throat, and that later ones were made with a 3x13 throat. Now from what I was told is that the ones with the 6x13 has lower bass but not as good mids. So I take that the ones with the 3x13 throat will have not as much low end but a little better mids. Am I understanding this right.

If so then that brings me to my first question, If the older ones have better lows but not as good of mids would this be issues when using Altec 511bs with the K-55-v driver. If so would using the k-43 be a better choice, or would I be fine with the cast frame woofers from Crites. Just so you know I have not purchased these yet but am looking at a pair.

I think I have more questions but this is all I can think of for now.

Thanks

Nick

The change from 6X13 to 3X13 was also in sync with a crossover change from 500 to 400. The 511 horn/k-55 would sound very good with a 6X13 throat. The k-33 is the best current model woofer to put inside the khorn. The k-43 does not reach as low and the handicap would be an issue in a khorn bass bin.

I don't have the Klipschorn model, but I do have the LaScala model (K33 in gray):

Posted Image

As we can see, there is only a fraction of a dB difference in predicted performance. The audible quality of the midrange is better with the K43 though, the cone is a different texture than the K33.

Someone else did a similar comparison of various woofers in a Klipschorn model, but the K43 isn't in those tests.

In reality, the taper rate and mouth area of the horn determines 90% of what you hear (assuming you do a reasonable job in picking a driver that will work in a horn).

When we say such-and-such woofer has better midrange than a K33E, but a little less bass, this is what we generally referring to (Klipschorn model, K33E in gray):

Best5.png

This is definitely an example of how the enclosure effects the end result. The LaScala woofer bass bin is so restrictive, that both the k43 and k33 plots are very similar. SOmeone who konws their stuff once said "The K43 has better performance in the Klipschorn above 50hz than the K33, ". The significance of that statement needs to be understood when thinking about Khorns. A Lascala analysis of k43 vs k33 needs an assumption statement about the hi-pass tuning of the lascala bass horn. Some say its 70hz, others 50hz. Basically, nothing you can put into a lascala will get you nice plots below 60hz. AND that is evident in this plot. You need LaScala bass bin volume extension or tuned port augmentation. Back to the Khorn, it would be interesting to see a plot of a khorn k-43 vs k33 since the khorn cabinet can reproduce in the 40hz area. The horn flare has a lot to do with it. But so does the additional internal volume. I do think this statement still holds true today. "The K43 has better performance in the Klipschorn above 50hz than the K33, " So, my findings from going down this path is that if you want better low end bass, stick with the k-33. Neither, however has anything to do with the cut off frequency of an added 511b. That is more a a factor of the moth slot. I think a 6X13 mouth slot should be crossed over at 500hz.

post-22082-13819637916008_thumb.png

Well If I hear back from the fellow with the Khorns and make arrangements to purchase. I will look into one of these programs that you use to take all these readings(unless they are really expensive)and take some reading since I have Crites cast frame woofers, and the Khorns will have the K-43 I can compare. Thanks for the info fellows you can continue this discussion if you like It looks interesting and knowledgeable. Plus I am sure it will wind into some real questions I have and this might have been the decoy thread.

Nick