How to hang an amp?

Coytee

Been doodling in the basement, trying to think "what have I forgotten" and something hit me.

I'll be putting my electronics on a shelf, buried in a closet. This shelf will be roughly 4' from the ground and I'll have about 4' of height.

I intend on putting some amps in the front corners, next to the Jubilee for example (above it on a shelf, via XLR connection)

I might still need a couple in this closet area and I got to thinking, how could I get them out of my way AND still allow good air flow to them to prevent them from heating. (closet will probably have either an exhaust fan or some vents)

So, the thought has crossed my mind to hang them. Instead of hanging them horizontally, I might be able to do so vertically.

I'm thinking I could take (what? angle iron?) something from the left to right and since I've got open studs, I can give it all the support it needs.

String two or four runs of iron from left to right at preset heights/depths so that I could turn a rack mounted item (Crown K2) sideways and have the amp 'laying on its side' for lack of better word.

I could "slot mount" several of them if need be and leave some room between them. This would allow some air to circulate between them instead of having the heat from the lower unit pre-bake the unit above it (as happened once upstairs).

This is becoming an interesting option for me since it would get one/more amps out of the way yet still accessable.

With supports only on the ends and one (or two?) (or three?) amps hanging, I'd wonder how much concern I need to put into them sagging over time.

So, if I've described it well enough, what are some ideas on how to slot mount a rack mounted amp vertically?

Definition of vertical is the controls facing the closet door, back of amp facing the back of closet and in my case, the "right" side of the amp (as laying on floor) would become the new bottom and the left side of the amp would become the new top.

Two thoughts...

1) Pro amps with fans may not be a problem (check the literature!) but passive amps with cooling vents would most likely be very unhappy running perpendicular to their intended airflow.

B) There are a bunch of spiffy wall mount 19" EIA rack solutions available... Not cheap, but one I've installed recently: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Wallmount-Cabinet-36-H-20U-x-20-D-Black/RM433A%C4%82R2

Of course, there are open racks that are wall mount and FAR cheaper than that BlackBox solution.

My K2's don't have a fan so I don't have to worry about fans. I think they want/require a full rack space between them though. Perhaps a 1/2 space, I don't know.

This isn't wall mount for the sake of wall mount. It's going to be suspended over the other stuff. I think I have an old picture to give a clue.

In the picture, my Peach, DVD, CD, HT unit, other... will simply be stacked on the shelf. If I then stack 3-4 K2's on top of them then I get into a situation I don't really want.

If however, I suspend the K2's from left to right ABOVE the stuff sitting on the shelf, I can put a space between them vertically, let the air move upwards and perhaps make the entire package fit better. The only problem I'm seeing is what to use that will hold the weight horizontally instead of vertically. I could see something weak allowing things to bend/flex in the middle. I would normally get around this by putting a support under it but I won't be able to because of my other goodies.

Hmm...then again, perhaps I could use a hanger in the middle to help support from the top and tie the rows together.

Right now, I'm thinking of a strong 90 degree angle iron (not sure what to call it other than that) might be my best answer.

Probably something better/stronger out there though

You can sort of see the dead wall space above, it's up here where I see the backs of the amps to be with everything else on the shelf. Also, you can just barely see the left/right walls.

I'll need to get some extra length of power cord for these (K2's have very short cords) so I can run the cords from above to the left wall where I have some extra outlets higher up in case I ever put a shelf in.

post-15072-13819637923502_thumb.jpg

Coyte,

You can use a product called Unistrut, Kindorf, etc. It is used in commercial/Industrial construction to hang things like pipe racks, etc. It can be porchased in any Electrical, Hvac or Plumbing Supply House and their are a myirid of fittings for it. It comes in 5/8" and 1-1/2" sizes and even can be bought double welded together yielding a 3" piece. It will certainly support the weight and you can drill it and mount rack rails to it. It can be hung with threaded rods or can be drilled and attached directly to the exposed studs.

Here are some of the different brackets that are available:

post-57654-13819637947084_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm a putz!

Being one to simply go to the source, I called Kindorf yesterday. It was rather humerous

"This is George"

"Hi George... my name is Richard... (yak yak)... do you know what a rack mounted power amp is?"

"huh?" (no)

(repeat question....same answer)

"We don't have things like that, we sell industrial hanging equipment....blah...blah..."

(then after more back/forth trying to find some common ground somewhere... )

"I'm looking for some industrial hanging equipment to put into a closet to hang some power amps"

"I don't know anything about power amps, we make fittings for industrial use so people can hang things, typically electrical or plumbing from the walls or ceilings"

"YES EXACTLY... that is exactly what I'm looking for however instead of hanging plumbing, I'm hanging an amp. This is why I asked if you knew what I was talking about so it would make my end goal quicker to understand"

Well...to cut a long story short, I think my question was too far left field for him. He seemed to have a difficult time picturing their stuff being used in any format other than what he's seen. Fortunately, I had another call come in which helped terminate this call with George. I think I'll now call my local electrical supply and/or plumbing supply house.

I wonder if George uses Bose?

[6]

Another potentially spendy solution, but strong as eh eee double-hockysticks: http://8020.net/

8020 bills themselves as "the industrial erector set" and they are more handy than you could possibly believe... check out the examples on their web site.

This stuff is basically extruded aluminum of various cross sections, with slide- and fixed-fasteners for hard angle mounting, hinging, connecting extrusion to extrusion, sliding interfaces, doors, you name it. A cross section with slide nuts of appropriate size and thread, along with some hanging mounts, and you're there.