Best way to ship Belles?

CaptnBob

Hi, folks,

What's the best way to ship a pair of Belles from Oakland, California (where they are) to St. Louis, Missouri? (where I am.)

I had a friend ship a pair of Electro-Voice 12-TRXs in home-built cabinets to me from Oakland via UPS. By the time they got here, one had been dropped so hard that the magnet structure broke off the frame. The other survived, but the cabinet was destroyed. So I'm a little leery of the whole process.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Capt'n Bob

p.s. Yes, this is the problem with buying large speakers on e-bay.

Bob,

Give Klipsch a call, have em ship a set of shipping boxes and interior styrofoam, etc. to whoever ships em to you...and then have the shipper build a small crate around the boxes after the speakers are in em....Klipsch still has shipping stuff for sale to customers.

Bob, here is another option that requires some phone time....you can call the dealers in that area and ask if they have any BK shipping stuff laying around and then have the shipper go to get it...you never know til ya ask...or...maybe just have the seller take em to the dealer to pack and/or ship to you...they outta know how to pack em if they ever unpacked any of em

BAX Global, yes, the edster00 is right on! For an added measure of safety, ask that they consider placing the Belles on a pallet. It doesn't cost extra if BAX elects to do it but may if you specify it... and palletized freight is less likely to be dropped or have things stacked on top of it.

To qualify for the low rates, the freight must be shipped from one business name & address to another. BAX Global can be very cost effective for shipments between Canada and the U.S.

Hmmm, Oakland, I was just there yesterday... sure wished I would have gotten in on that auction and saved you the freight. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-18-2002 at 10:58 AM

All very good suggestions......you get what you pay for....most of the time.

FWIW, if you are on a tighter budget, I have had success by 'lightening the load(s)'. First remove the top section from the bottom section and send in two pieces per speaker. That way, if dropped, the sheer weight difference mightmake a difference. Double box them by fitting cardboard tightly around each section and don't spare the packing tape. Surround the first box with tight fitting styrofoam, preferrably 2" or thicker and fit another cardboard outerbox around this, again very tight. The idea is that the box becomes one with the speaker mitigating the slop factor. Make sure you pack them youself and remember, you cannot 'overpack, overpad or overtape'!

UPS ground is just as iffy as Fed Ex Ground but the two times I sent Belles, I had no problem. UPS is cheaper for the most part....I recall about $26 - $30 for each top section and $50 - $60 for each bottom. Also, insurance is (relatively) cheap. Again, you can't overinsure. Good luck.

------------------

Ed

A-HA!!!! Got you HDBR!!!!! You need a screwdriver and NUT DRIVER!! Smile.gif

CnB - As you peer into the dark recesses of the Belle from the rear, you will note that there are 4 nuts along the 'rails' that are along the 'bottom of the top' section. 2 on the right, 2 on the left. After removing the speaker wires from the network as well as the screw that holds the rear mid-horn support to the 'bottom of the top' section, remove these nuts and lift the top section off. The two side pieces as well as the top will come off leaving the 'bottom of the top' section in place. With the sides off, you may now access the screws that hold the 'bottom of the top' section to the mid-speaker collar.

------------------

Ed

Ed,

Yep ya got me....but Captn Bob needs to remember that the riser for the top section (which you call the collar) is delicate once removed, and must be carefully packed...be best to build a separate box that tightly fits it and insert it inside the box where the uppersection is. Remember to cover everything with thin visqueen to protect the painted/oiled surfaces from rubbing on this kinda shipping!!!! If I remember correctly, I believe the BKs were shipped whole unlike the K-horns...but I could be wrong. Either way I am sure a call to Klipsch would get ya a pair of shipping boxes and stuff for em if ya asked nicely and pulled out a credit card...LOL!

HDBR - Two very good points. Say....if I'm not mistaken, you're the new proud owner of a pair of LS's! And for a song to boot! Intentions?

P.S. - If I may take this time to echo sentiments felt widely on this board - Thanks much for all the detailed inside info. I have enjoyed your posts tremendously.

------------------

Ed

Ed,

Thanks. I tend to get a little long-winded at times...and probably give out more detail than is necessary to answer questions (see?...I'm doing it again!!!..LOL!)...but I am both happy to help AND happy that my meager attempts are appreciated.

You been checkin up on me huh?...LOL! Well, I just hope the seller is sure of what it is I bought...a bit worried since they didn't spell Klipsch right....but I e-mailed em a few days ago asking some questions and the answers were more or less what I wanted to hear...hell, back in '81 the price for a pair to employees at 40% of list was two hundred bucks more than that!!! I dunno how much they are worth today, but I figure I got a pretty good deal on em...supposedly they are in "perfect working order"...and once I get that damned carpet off of em and see what I have to do to bring em back to original, I will let ya know...I DO have 11 sheets of the same kind of plywood in storage if I have to rebuild the cabinets or just build some new ones...look like they are LSBB's with the rounded over edges from what I can tell...they didnt appear to have handles on sides, so probably not industrial ones...who knows?!!!! I will let ya know about em tho!!

By the way, last week somebody had some industrial fiberglass ones with the metal corners and trim for sale there...wonder how much they sold for?

Somebody else is tryin to sell his home-made ones with no horns, but instead some cone speakers in the top end right now...the bidding is already at what I paid for mine, and hasn't even reached the reserve he set yet...as far as I am concerned, they aren't worth any more than the cost of the wood in them...if that much!!!! Even if the woofer section is made right and can accept mounting of Klipsch woofer, the top end will have to be rebuilt to accept the rest of the Klipsch components...alot of work to do all of that...too much if ya ask me, considering that his reserve hasnt even been met yet!!! Somebody is gonna get taken on that deal...BIGTIME!!!!

Long Live Klipsch Heritage!!!!!