LaScala to CornScala for Theater use? worth the trouble?

tragusa3

I'm running three LaScala across the front and am very pleased. I can't help but wonder though about other options....I'm aware of the advantage the CornScala has in the low end, but wonder if it's worth the trouble if they're crossed over at 80hz for theater use? I'm thinking that if I felt a need for improvement then Khorn would be the next logical step. Even then, when crossed with a sub for theater use, I wonder?

I can't help but wonder though about other options...

Danley SH-100's, SM-60F's... and the whole gambit of decent satellites from other manufactures. Lot's to pick from. If you do the math...The La Scala bin is about as small as it gets if you prefer to keep things "on the horn" down to 100Hz.

I've heard the SH50's, and to be honest, it would take a critical ear to appreciate the advantage over the LaScala. I didn't do a quick A/B comparison though, so my impression could be off.

Islander, I assume by your suggestion that you feel the improvement in mids and highs to be more valuable than trying to improve the low end of a LaScala?

Well, as PWK said, "We live in the midrange". The mid and high improvements with the JubScala conversion have to be heard to be appreciated. It's not a small upgrade.

The bi-amping reduces distortion noticeably. It's easy to hear detail that was simply not audible with the stock La Scalas.

As well, the bass response is improved and made more smooth by the more accurate EQing of the active crossover.

Finally, the electronic time-alignment of the drivers' output is the icing on the cake.

I've heard the SH50's, and to be honest, it would take a critical ear to appreciate the advantage over the LaScala.

Certainly. I've heard them too. Like listening to a high sensitivity version of Vandersteens. But it wasn't enough to get me to move on them over the La Scalas.

I can't help but wonder though about other options...

What is the motivation for your curiosity?

My motivation? well, I've been happily enjoying my LaScala's, but last week heard Cornwalls for the first time. They were in 2channel full range, and I was very impressed. It just got the mind wandering. Why does the mind wander? well, that's part of the hobby isn't it? :)

If I were running 2 channel, I would without question look into building CornScalas. But I won't be doing 2 channel. My use is entirely theater, and the mains will always be crossed around 80hz. So the basic question was....would going to CornScalas be worthwhile in that application?

JubScalas are the direction I'd love to go in, but I'm scared off by the cost at the moment. One day....sure. But not right now.

I'm aware of the advantage the CornScala has in the low end, but wonder if it's worth the trouble if they're crossed over at Hz for theater use? I'm thinking that if I felt a need for improvement then Khorn would be the next logical step. Even then, when crossed with a sub for theater use, I wonder?

Your DTS-10s for the low end should be sufficient since they are probably just loafing along. The suggestion to go to a JubScala using either K-402s or K-510s would be your next logical (and economic) step, IMHO. The Danley units are a bit pricey and difficult to find preowned at a lower price, but they might be close to a K-510 JubScala in performance (I've not heard the Danley SH series). The K-402 JubScalas with improved drivers would likely be a big step up, IMHO. They're not small, unfortunately.

Using Khorns would actually give you about one more octave of cleaner bass, but unless your DTS-10s are in the back corners, my guess is that you'd need to place any new Khorns in front of the DTS-10s in their respective front corners in order to couple fully to the room's modes. This would actually improve the 3-D imaging of the Khorns because they would be out of the room's corners a bit, but likely would require false corners in order to pull it off.

I don't recommend direct-radiating bass speakers (like Cornwalls and Cornscalas) if you can have horn-loaded bass speakers.

My $0.02.

Chris

My motivation? well, I've been happily enjoying my LaScala's, but last week heard Cornwalls for the first time. They were in 2channel full range, and I was very impressed.....would going to CornScalas be worthwhile in that application?

My recommendation? NO. Not worthwhile. However, picking up an AS-EQ1 instead, would be very worthwhile. Once you get your DTS-10's signal chain transfer function linear, they'll match up to the La Scala's even better. You will realize upper bass performance you thought you'd lost for good by running a separate sub.