La Scala bassbin EQ settings

Phenton

With regard to the JubeScala (LaScala bass bin, large K402 on top, 2-way) when used with an active, Roy has a PEQ in there that supposedly helps reduce the sidewalls from resonating.

I don't recall which one but I THINK it's the -7 db, 148Hz, Q=8.

Pat in Vancouver has the JubeScalas and I think from prior conversations with him that this is the correct PEQ AND he thinks it works great.

If you are talking about a standard 3-way LaScala, I don't know that Roy has ever provided any active paramaters for them?

I'd also be interested to see them if he has.

With regard to the JubeScala (LaScala bass bin, large K402 on top, 2-way) when used with an active, Roy has a PEQ in there that supposedly helps reduce the sidewalls from resonating.

I don't recall which one but I THINK it's the -7 db, 148Hz, Q=8.

Pat in Vancouver has the JubeScalas and I think from prior conversations with him that this is the correct PEQ AND he thinks it works great.

If you are talking about a standard 3-way LaScala, I don't know that Roy has ever provided any active paramaters for them?

I'd also be interested to see them if he has.

I am only interested in the bass horn PEQ settings.

What if the bass horn has the brace and stronger walls, are there different settings from Roy for this as well? Is there a frequency response plot on here that shows the difference with thicker side walls, braces and the response?

Well, here's the PDF for the paramaters when the LaScala bass bin is mated with the K402. I don't know how that would relate to mating it with anything else. Perhaps it would be the same (?).

Regarding any changes in the settings for a unit with braced sidewalls... too technical for me. You'll have to wait for others to chime in. I would however, speculate one of two scenarios.

1. It would work just fine as now you're working with a box with less resonance

2. If indeed the -7 db @ 148Hz is specifically targeted for this resonance, then with a bass bin that is 'fixed', perhaps you won't need this one.

Hmm... thinking further now that I've seen the file, it has "Lascala 1 or 2" in its title, so I'm now thinking you would keep the 148Hz PEQ in there.

DX-38_settings_for_LaScala_(1_or_2)_LF_with_K402_&_K69.pdf

Where is the link to Roy's EQ settings for the La Scala bass horn if they are not used with the passive network?

The Belle tri-amp settings that I use are essentially just La Scala bass bin settings from the K-510 JubScala setup, but using for the Belle's midrange and tweeter drivers, which are almost the same as the La Scala's midrange/tweeter settings--the only difference being the shortened K-500 midrange horn of the Belle vs. the deeper La Scala K-400 midrange horn.

The link above may help you converge on an active crossover La Scala setup, if you ever intend to go that direction.

Does bracing change these settings?

I think the answer to this is "yes" but I'm not sure what it would look like. I would expect to EQ down the peaks in a stiffened La Scala bass bin more than what is shown here, since stiffening would generally increase output. The problem is...knowing just where the response would increase.

Room EQ Wizard (REW) and an instrument-quality microphone are highly recommended so that you can measure and EQ the bass bin yourself. You will be in the "sparse mode region" of the room's response if you EQ below about 180 Hz (depending on the size/dimensions of your listening room-larger rooms will have a lower "critical frequency").

In my setup, I use an auto-EQing unit (DEQ2496) just for this purpose in order to do time averaging FFTs, then transfer those 1/3 octave EQ settings to my active crossovers (EV Dx38 bi-amping Jubilees and Dx38 tri-amping the center Belle) using parametric EQ filters whose center frequencies and sharpness of the filters are based on the anechoic response of the La Scala bin.

My goal is to achieve slightly increasing in-room response toward lf's (i.e., not flat in-room response). There are a couple of articles available from JAES on why smoothly rising in-room bass response at the lowest frequencies (about 100 Hz and below) is desirable.

Chris