RSW12 Auto On

Agent Eagle

I know this is a stupid question, but I am asking it in fear of burning up my equipment. I have a RSW12 sub, and the auto on feature isn't working very well. I have to Crank my Denon 4802, for it to power on. What I want to know is.....I've turned auto on to off, and have being leaving the sub powered on. Is this going to hurt it in any way, leaving it on all the time ?

ae, have u tried hooking both R & L rsw line inputs w/ a Y adapter? my sub wakes up from auto more readily that way.

also what's your sub level setting at in the receiver.

may want to turn that up & compensate by lowering the output knob on the rsw.

if you're talking movies in 5.1, a lot of times the lfe is sporadic & the sub won't wake up til it gets some.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

When I had the Velodyne (CT 150) the auto sense wasn't very effective, especially during those soft passages. The auto sense was not sensitive enough, so I ended up not using it.

Leaving the sub powered on shouldn't be of any particular harm, with the exception of increased electricity usage. You can turn it off when not in use, if you choose.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

AE - Are you sending only LFE (the .1) to the sub? Or sending other low bass as well...

If only the LFE, then as B12 mentions there is often not enough content in that channel to keep a sub turned on.

Are your main speakers set to large or small? A small setting would send more bass to the sub, and keep it alive, plus possibly sound better by offloading the bass from your mains.

Doug

------------------

My System

Hey Agent, this is probably one of those things that is not recommended, but I have an older sw12II sub plugged into a switched outlet on the back of my receiver. I have had it this way with two different receivers for about 4 years now with no problems...so far.

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog).... (I'm an "Agent" too!)

Hey..It looks like that little uni-eyeball dude is saying something BAD.... I just realized this after posting. I DON'T MEAN THAT!

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 04-18-2002 at 12:54 PM

I just recalibrated my system using Avia and my SPL meter. I turned down the sub volume and boosted the receiver pre-out to compensate. I re-engaged the Auto-on to see if it will be more effective. All my speakers are set to small, and my receiver crossover is set to 80hz, with my sub crossover switched off.