Dispersion pattern of loudspeakers

JBL4645

Sorry if the text appares bundled up its the browser Im using! SIGH

I dont quiet fully grasp what it means dispersion pattern I have rough idea that if loudspeaker has horizontal 45º by 90º for the HF horns does this mean it spans out over nice wide area with equal tonal in the HF range so that listeners can hear it say 10 or 12 more rows off the centre-line in cinema or if using a cinema PA horn in the home.

Also less refection of the highs bouncing off the ceiling and floor due to the tight 90º vertical angle?

Also what about other loudspeakers for the home how can I suss out which loudspeaker I have that has (a so and so wide or narrow dispersion pattern)?

Im running funky plastic JBL control 5 so I have no shame LOL for fronts and control 1 for surrounds. I dont know of the dispersion pattern they put out how wide or narrow it is? Or other loudspeakers in Klipsch brand range for home use, some nice 6.5 small bookshelf types RB41, 51, 61 and 81 II

Cheers

Somewhere in a magical place, there is a stereo system that sounds the same wherever you sit. It has perfect soundstage and level for a full 360 degrees. However back here on earth, engineers do their best to provide a wide dispersion pattern that has equal energy for a widest horizontal plane as practical. There are many ways to achieve a partial solution. Some believe a pulsing sphere driver is the theoretically perfect solution. Although I'm not one of them. In the end, dispersion is just another engineering trade-off. I hope that helps.

The quoted dispersion of a loudspeaker is a nominal value. That means that somewhere in front of the speaker the polar pattern is equal to the numbers quoted. This pattern may not be the same at all frequencies in the loudspeaker's range, depending on the characteristics of a particular design. For more complete information look at the polar plots of the speaker.

So you know, the larger number "90" is the horizontal dispersion and the "40" is the vertical dispersion. Generally this formation provides nice even coverage. On the Professional side speakers like this are used for "nearfield" coverage where "throw distance" is not as important as smooth, even coverage. This is why Klipsch uses this particular horn design.No it is not perfect ,and no horn radiates all frequencies evenly in all directions. Don't sweat it, just take the time to place your speakers for optimal imaging, essentially, don't be afraid to tow them in a little, this can create a better sweet spot and make the sound more enjoyable for you.

Think of a maglite flashlight or a spotlight, and how you can narrow or widen the light by focusing the beam. The dispersion pattern is describing how wide the beam is.

Btw, the Control series from JBL sounds pretty good considering the size and cost. Their dispersion will be really wide at lower frequencies and they narrow a bit at higher frequencies.

So you know, the larger number "90" is the horizontal dispersion and the "40" is the vertical dispersion. Generally this formation provides nice even coverage. On the Professional side speakers like this are used for "nearfield" coverage where "throw distance" is not as important as smooth, even coverage. This is why Klipsch uses this particular horn design.No it is not perfect ,and no horn radiates all frequencies evenly in all directions. Don't sweat it, just take the time to place your speakers for optimal imaging, essentially, don't be afraid to tow them in a little, this can create a better sweet spot and make the sound more enjoyable for you.

Ill take some new readings monitor it on the RTA wideband pink noise and move shift the left and right up and down platform. As for sweating it no I have no worries about just a natural, curiosity about it. Theres a still lot to learn about the hobby. I should have gotten into in early 70s rather than late 80s. Ive have them toed in before in the past. At present there just all lined up facing forwards.

Cheers

Think of a maglite flashlight or a spotlight, and how you can narrow or widen the light by focusing the beam. The dispersion pattern is describing how wide the beam is.

Btw, the Control series from JBL sounds pretty good considering the size and cost. Their dispersion will be really wide at lower frequencies and they narrow a bit at higher frequencies.

Ive head that one before. I dont have torch with wide to narrow beam only mobile phone with LED light that has come in useful in some cases. Ive heard about using a mirror placed on wall but thats for reflections and placement of defuses and I need mate to move a mirror up and down the wall while Im looking for the refection of the loudspeaker.

Id prefer 12SR if I could get my paws on four of them in good condition. I thought the control 5 looked like some of Klipsch the smaller bookshelf models is it 51 and up for 6.5 with small radial horn. B&W DM601 sound good for small rooms my mate as pair that have done well for over 10 years. Ill buy a cheap flashlight of ebay next week unless I see on in the cheap high street stores. Cheers anyway