Driver Break In for K33e, Crites and other cloth surround, high efficiency drivers

Phenton

I think it's about 43,289.492278 hours of play before the melodic harmonies of a driver can be fully realized....

Actually, I once asked one of the engineers at Klipsch. To paraphrase his response "we hook them up to "X" volts (I forget how many) and play them for about 20 minutes and consider them done"

Look at it this way... if it indeed, took 500 hours for a driver to break in, how difficult would it be for these manufacturers or speaker builders to come to a design when they are trying different drivers?

Install new driver "A" into system... play for 500 hours.... discover it's not good enough... swap driver "B"....play for 500 hours... nope...not this one either... swap driver "C"....

Meanwhile, the boss is wondering what decade this speaker design is going to be finalized.

My two cents?

Install the driver and forget it. Just enjoy it.

I would say yes, it does require some break-in. I've built 3 builds so far with Crites woofers and Eminence woofers and family members had to remind me on one of my recent builds when I thought the bass was lacking, they said remember you went through this on your Cornscala but after a few hours the bass started getting much better.

I had forgotten about that and was just reminded of this recently when I felt the bass was lacking but I let it run a couple of days and the bass was much better but it continued to get better over that whole month of usage.

I would say yes, in my experience, the spider and surrounds need to loosen up from stiffness and the bass therefore gets better after this break-in takes effect from the builds I've done so far. I'm keeping this in mind as I'm in the process of a new HT build now, using Eminence Woofers (Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2)

When I purchased my Klipschorn's new a few years ago, I remember it took the bass some break-in as well before I started hearing what bass it could really do. Because of my experience from this, I think sometimes some drivers might need some break-in.