UMC vs. XMC (in relation to UPA7 sale)

kde

I grabbed the 885... thanks for the advice. Figured I couldn't go wrong and this will buy me some years at an affordable price (wanted to upgrade to HDMI before I rewired my rack).

Congrats, I think you are going to love it.

Don't be afraid to play around and experiment with settings and tweaks to find the sound you like best. I spent a while finding what really worked well for me and learning to make the most of Audyessy and other settings, the end result sounds extremely nice. I'd be happy to share some of the tricks I have found.

Thanks for the offer...

No you do not need to plug in the ethernet cable, it's only there for software updates.

As for the size even without amps the 885 has a lot going on under the hood, here's a picture of what it looks like inside. Also the space is needed on back for all of the out/inputs.

To see the full picture use http://www.cstone.net/~dk/885-2.jpg

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Fast forward to now... I ended up getting that Onkyo 885 from audiogon/videogon. Disclaimer -- the guy I purchased the unit from has been top notch and very straight (even offering to take the unit back) -- this is a request for assistance and not a complaint.

After hooking up the system, I have fuzz in my right surround back channel. I've gone through everything that I know (factory reset, re-ran audessey, checked cables, switched RCA from amp, switched speaker cables, checked different inputs, tested different modes, etc). My last hope is hanging on a cable I ordered from monoprice to connect via XLR instead of the RCA jack. Hoping the issue is with the RCA jack.

One other thing that was interesting is when I re-ran audessy the speaker was silent, then when audessy started to make the pinging noise I heard the fuzz in the speaker, then when audessy went to the next speaker it got quiet and then started to fuzz when the pinging began again, then did the same for all speakers. Thus, it's quiet when there is no signal, but fuzz when there is.