iPad, Pandora, Apple TV, & AirPlay = awesome

Guest davidness

Guest davidness

I'm sitting here tonight listening to Pandora internet radio on my RF7's, with my VRD45ST tube amp, controlled by my iPad and streamed to my system using AirPlay to my Apple TV 2.

It sounds frigging awesome! Sorry, I just had to share my excitement. You would think that Internet radio wouldn't sound all that good, but it does ( I'm using Pandora's 'high quality' mode). Plus, I'm able to hear all kinds of music I haven't heard before and don't own, but Pandora is excellent at picking 'associative' music based on my initial selections. As Pandora picks each new track for me, the artist bio appears on my iPad.

Pandora is great. Highly recommended. I would probably go for the paid subscription if I had a dac set up. As it is I run my iphone through the tape input of a Scott 299A/B and it sounds great! I love all the recommendations of similar artists. Kind of like watching the "Denny" show in right this minute. [Y]

Try CCR radio, Peggy Lee, Duke Ellington!

I'm not sure how you are doing this? The Pandora App on iOS doesn't stream to the Apple TV (2010) via Airplay. I do it by streaming from my computer using Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil to my Apple TV. Can you get into the details of your system and setup so that others may benefit from what you know?

Pandora Radio is nice. Since I got my Verizon iPhone, I've been using it quite a bit at work (I just have an iPod dock attached to my little Tivoli Audio rig in my office). The ads sometimes get annoying, but at least they aer few and far between. To bad the iOS app doesn't support streaming the "high quality" version, otherwise, I may consider signing up the paid service. If the ads start to get really annoying, than I may consider the paid service just so not have to listen to any ads.

Guest davidness

The Pandora App on iOS doesn't stream to the Apple TV (2010) via Airplay.

This is not correct. The Pandora App on iOS DOES stream to Apple TV 2 via AirPlay.

All my software is updated to latest versions. I turned on AirPlay on my Apple TV 2. Both devices are set up on my on my home network. I run Pandora on my iPad. It starts playing through my iPad. Double click the iPad Home button. Scroll the dock to the left, There is now an AirPlay button next to the volume / brightness buttons. Select your AppleTV 2. Assuming you've got the Apple TV selected as the source on your receiver, it should now be working fine.

Let us know if this gets you up and working.

Guest davidness

The ads sometimes get annoying, but at least they aer few and far between. To bad the iOS app doesn't support streaming the "high quality"

What makes you believe this? I wasn't able find this stated anywhere. It sure sounds like high quality to me. I'm not saying this isn't true, I don't know.

As far as the ads go, that's an easy fix... Pay the $36 (per year) for the Pandora One service. Voila! No ads! That's what I did.

Guest davidness

I assume this means you got it to work. It took me a few minutes to figure it out as I had not used my Apple TV much, and never used any sort of AirPlay. Now that it's up and running, I agree with you... It's awesome. The best part to me is just how well Pandora filters/selects songs. It just feeds me great track after great track, and I'm discovering artists that I never knew about before, but that I think are, well, awesome!

Guest davidness

To bad the iOS app doesn't support streaming the "high quality"

well, i'm finding conflicting info on this. Within the iPad application, there is a preference setting for "higher quality audio". But I also read on the Pandora website that "Pandora mobile applications do not yet support 192k audio". Maybe the website page hasn't been updated to reflect new iOS features. Maybe. I'll email Pandora support on Monday and see what I can find out.

But the bottom line is that, to me, it sure sounds like very high quality. It puts a smile on my face.

Guest davidness

I just got a response from Pandora support (on a Sunday night, no less).

Quote:

Hi David,

Mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+. Pandora on the Web or the Desktop app plays 64k AAC+ for "free" listeners and 192k for PandoraOne subscribers.

Someday hopefully we can change the Pandora API so all devices like yours can receive higher bit-rate audio. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.  

Jonathan

Listener Support, Pandora

End Quote.

I'm very surprised by this, as the music clarity would make me think I was playing a much higher bitrate than this.

Great support! now, the 64kbps AAC is just fine for me, my iPad would be very expensive over 3G if it was any higher! I tend to use Pandora for a music finder; Then I purchase the used CD on Amazon for less that $1 (+$3 Shipping!); Then I rip the CD to my Computer -where I have it meticulously tagged and organized; Then it either gets played to the AppleTV, Synched to the iPad or the iPod in my Vehicle. iTunes Genius isn't that bad either.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidness

It took me a while to figure it out, too.

You must first turn on AirPlay on your AppleTV 2. Once it's on, the AirPlay button should 'magically' appear. Let us know if this doesn't resolve your problem.

Guest davidness

Obviously (or maybe not), both your iOS device and your AppleTV (and/or any other AirPlay compatable devices) need to be on the same private subnet, so your iOS device must be connected to your home Wi-Fi network (or something like that).

• 2 weeks later...