Cont./Max wattage ratings

mpetrich

Can someone explain these ratings to me or point me to a good resource? I'm debating using Quintets as my rear surrounds which are rated at 100W continuous with my incoming Denon AVR-3802 which puts out 110Wx5. I wouldn't think this would be a problem with home theater because with movies you're not pushing much through the rears, is that correct? The area I'm more concerned about is running 5 channel stereo mode through these speakers, would I be running the risk of blowing these things out in a hurry? Thoughts please, thanks!

I'm no expert on how these ratings are derived, but I can tell you that you will rarely, if ever, approach 100 watts continuous out of the receiver or into those speakers.

Most normal listening on front, full range speakers is only going to use less than 30 watts, if even that much. Even if you were using the Quintets as main speakers, they would have no problem handling the 3802 output.

The real area of concern for you should be how much music you plan to run through the Quintets. They are great for home theater. However, they aren't going to do so well on music -- just too small. If you intend to run a lot of 5-channel music, I'd suggest going for a small bookshelf speaker like the Klipsch SB-1,2, or 3.

Doug

------------------

My System

As I understand it, a maximum continuous watt rating would mean that the speakers could safely handle a steady amount of current generated by that wattage. Watts don't give you the fully story regarding a speakers capabilities to transmit good sound though. However, you should be safe using the Denon, as Klipsch are very efficient and will require far less power to give great sound. Less power can be more damaging than too much, as amplifiers or receivers driven beyond their max capability tend to send distorted signals causing clipping. Clipping can cause significant damage to a speaker, especially Tweeters.

Ensure that your Fronts and Centers are comparable in efficiencies to the Quintets. All Speakers having the same or a similar drivers is beneficial too. Others here will have worthwhile info & suggestions as well.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-18-2002 at 01:23 PM

A spec. such as 100 watts RMS continuous/350 watts peak can be interpreted in so many ways as to be meaningful as only a very relative description of the speaker's power handling capability. In other words two speakers of relatively equal quality and of the same general design type which are rated this way could be expected to be able to handle about the same amount of power.

This does not speak to the sonic character of a given speaker system as the fact that a speaker is able to handle huge amounts of power does not necessarily mean it will sound better,(or even nearly as good),as a higher quality speaker that is rated as having lower power handling capabilities.

I doubt for example that there a speaker on the market that could withstand being continuously subjected to a 100 watt signal at say 60 hz. for more than several seconds but that same speaker might easily handle considerably more than the rated 350 watt instantaneous peak if the input were in the range of 1000 hz. and the duration were in the order of a 100th. of a second.

As pointed out above the speaker will draw at most 30 watts with any regularity from the amplifier,(with occasional very brief excursions beyond that which might indeed reach into the upper ranges of the amps capabilities).

The thing to bear in mind is that power output rating of an amplifier specifies only the amount of power that the amplifier can supply to the speaker. It is the speaker which effectively determines how much power will be demanded of the amplifier.

This message has been edited by lynnm on 04-18-2002 at 02:14 PM

Great info guys, thanks!

I think I will steer clear of the quintets for my surrounds due to the fact that I'd like to use the 5 channel stereo feature on my new receiver. The SB-1's would probably sound much better in 5 channel stereo. I see a lot of Klipsch KSB-1.1 speakers for sale on ebay, are they different or the same as SB-1's? Here's the whole setup I've got arriving from Audio King, only question is the surrounds. Input welcome:

Denon AVR-3802

RF-5 mains

RC-3II center

KSW-15 Sub

? surrounds

mpetrich,

SB's are not the Klipsch recommended speakers for surround use with the RF-5's, they use different drivers. Though not as critical in the rears, but you may want to use something from the RF Series.

Lots of choices depending on your preference, room and wallet size. Another pair of RF-5's, RF-3II's, older RF-3's or the RF Bookshelf models would give big sound for the rears and multichannel music. If limited to Wide Dispersion types, the RS-3's or newer RS-3II's, RS-7's will work well for movies, but lack the fuller, richer punch of the RF's. If you have the opportunity to listen to each then do so, and choose those that best meet your needs.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-18-2002 at 04:27 PM

In the Home Theater area, there is a post by a member who has RB-3's as well as RP-5's for sale. In case you're interested in either.

<Edit> There's a Topic in Home Theater you may want to read, it's Titled " SB-2s or SB-3s". Covers surrounds for RF Series Fronts.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-18-2002 at 04:59 PM

Mucho Gracias Wes,

I'll check that other post out. I have been reading a bit on the drivers..... I wish they had photos of the rear of these speakers on klipsch site, i need to know where the mount points are on the RB-3's and RS-3's. I'm mounting from the ceiling and only have about 3 inches clearance if i was to mount at a 90 degree angle to the ceiling with my current speaker mounts.

mpetrich,

If you're interested in mounting points you can download Owners Manuals from here at the Klipsch site.

Click on the HELP CENTER, then Owners Manuals. The manual for RS-3's is available. Did not see one for the RB-3. However, there's one for the RB-5 though. Please note that each has a rear port to consider if hanging.

Below are the dimensions for both for comparison purposes. Vogels makes a bracket which will support speakers up to about 45 pounds. Not sure if it will work for your preferred installation. But you could check the web to see if more info is available on the brackets.

RB-5II's DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 17" (43.2cm) x 9" (22.9cm) x 12.2" (30.9cm)

RB-3's DIMENSIONS: (H X W X D): 15" (38.6cm) x 7.68" (19.7cm) x 9" (23.04cm)

Hope this helps.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-18-2002 at 08:55 PM

I think for 5 channel stereo and music dvd's the RB3's would probably work out better for rears. The local dealer had these but not the RS3's for me to compare to....

I'm almost set on the RB3's for rears but how in the heck will I mount these from the ceiling? I noticed they don't have any mounting holes on the back. And I'd hate to have to make a hole anywear on nice speakers like that just to mount them. Anyone know a good top/bottom clamp type ceiling bracket? I looked on the web for a while and didn't see anything.....

Mike

Denon AVR-3802

RF-5 mains

RC-3II center

KSW-15 Sub

? surrounds

Here's a site that carries the Vogel Brackets. There are two models with ratings for 44lbs & 55lbs total weight. They appear to be for wall mounting though. There's also a Peerless model for ceiling mount, but looks like they would require holes drilled in the speekers.

http://www.electroshops.com/consumers/wallmount-speaker.htm

Best of luck.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>