which home theater system?

courtney

i am partially deaf and am looking for a $1500 to $2500 home theater system that will work well being a little louder than normal and give the clearest voice/speech for movies.

i am not seeing anything on the website than clarifies what the different rf, rb, xl, etc means.

there seem to be a lot of different systems in that price range and i do not know which one would work best for my application.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

have no idea why this is running altogether like this, i did not write it this way but it posts different, sorry

this definitely helps

so in the bookshelf series speakers will the sound be the same since the cases are not as big?

also i see lots of

home systems called

f-10

b-20

a couple of vf

xl

a lot of these seem to be similar in price and look simialr to me in component pieces but i do not know what the differences in them are

i am guessing they each focus on different uses?

thank you for your help

this definitely helps so in the bookshelf series speakers will the sound be the same since the cases are not as big? also i see lots of home systems called f-10 b-20 a couple of vf xl a lot of these seem to be similar in price and look simialr to me in component pieces but i do not know what the differences in them are i am guessing they each focus on different uses? thank you for your help

Your price range is a great one to work with. You will need a receiver if you dont already have. Do you have any space requirements? Do you need something small like bookshelf size cabinets or can you fit floorstanders? Did you want something that can be wall mounted so they are out of the way?

My assumption, being that you are partly deaf is that you are looking for a system that is clean and clear, as you said but can be turned up rather loudly and maintain that quality of sound. Is that all you care about? Do you care about bass extension, can you have a subwoofer, are you in an apartment or home?

The different lines like synergy, reference, icon, palladium, THX Ultra 2 and Heritage are all engineered differently from one another. The THX Ultra2 series is meant for someone who wants to make a real home theater in their house, that is what that gear is aimed towards.

The Palladium series is klipschs flagship line of speakers and they are ultra refined and meant for those who can first and foremost afford them and are looking for a particularly very high level of refinement in a speaker. Take note though, price does not always accurately depict quality (the palladium line has rare zebra wood veneers and just the engineering/materials cost really thrust their prices through the roof).

The icon series has 3 lines within it, the Icon W series is a very refined elegant looking speaker for those who may be looking for a slimmer more elgant looking speaker. The Icon X series is meant more to be wall mounted and have an ultra modern futuristic look, the flagship speakers in that series have a built in amp and only need a signal RCA wire to go from your tv to the speakers, its meant to be a very cimple solution. The VF series is made for best buy only, best buy used to carry the reference and icon w series as well. Klipsch changed their marketing strategy and has places Energy Speakers (they own energy speakers) in its place, they are also very high quality speakers equal to klipsch and many other high fidelity brands.

The synergy series is basically the alternative to the reference series. Almost on par with price they have a different styling and are slightly less refined (in my opinion) than the reference series. The styling isn't my style so i dont really consider them as option that i'd like to own.

The Reference Series is the classic Klipsch speaker and is meant to be their classic high end speaker. They are an alternative to the palladium and heritage lines and boast their high refinement and quality. This is a great line of speakers, one that if you have the money is the best option for price/performance in my opinion. I own the reference series and i am extremely happy with them. I like their simple classy style over that of the synergy. I also like the ICON W series as well but at the MSRP suggested they arent worth it and for the price/performance, the ratio isnt very good (in my opinion). That series for sure needs a sub but the mids/highs sound very crisp and clear.

The Heritage line is the TRUE classic klipsch speaker. These are big and bulky and have a very classic 50's styling. Some of the Heritage line is on their third remodel from over the years, some models are still being produced but updated that were designed by Paul W Klipsch himself when klipsch audio first began. These are great speakers and are highly sought after by those who are truely klipsch fans at heart and are seeking a certain level of refinement and to feeel the roots of klipsch (in my opion of course, thats how i view owning any of the heritage line)

This is all great info, thank you very much, helps a lot to know which direction to go in

From all my reading, etc i was leaning toward the reference

I see you are in scottsdale, do you know if there is a klipsch store in phx, i have looked online and seem to be only finding custom installers for klipsh, i would like to go somewhere and hear some of the different speakers

Right now i am looking at 2 different pair of rf-82, one pair has a center rc-62, they are listed on craigs for 1200 for the 3 of them

Another pair of new rf 82 for 800

Neither person has replied yet

There is also a full set of rf 35 home theater, mint condition for 1200, i am considering these but it seems most people say the rf 82 are much better

My main goal is to have very clear sound and for it to be able to handle that at a louder than normal range, mostly for watching tv

Size and space do not matter much, i have a decent amount of room to work with

I do wonder if i need all the surround stuff or if maybe the rf 82 and center speaker would be enough?

Think there is a good chance i am going to have to upgrade my receiver, it is a sony multi channel av str k7100

On the klipsch site it says to have a receiver a little bigger than the speakers call for, so this looked like it would work for the rf 35 set but not for the rf 82 , of course i may be reading all of this wrong

Thank you for all your help and suggestions, i am really lost researching all this, i just want a very clear set for watching tv

Bang for your buck, I would recommend the RF-82s and an RC-62. I am running something similar right now (no surrounds but with an added subwoofer). Used, these three speakers should run around $900.-1100. dollars depending on condition and location. The RF-62s with an RC-62 or RF-52s with an RC-52 might be even better for what you are looking for as the 6.5/5.25 inch woofers all around might have a slightly better mid-range important for dialogue, but also sound great. They will sound plenty big as well.

Remember too, that Klipsch has come out with a new reference series which is designated by a "II" at the end of the name, i.e. RF-82 II. These just came out and will be basically full retail price (about $600. per speaker for the 82s, $450. per for the 62s, and $325. per for the 52s) although many a great deal can be had at Ultimate Electronics (while supplies last) or on newegg.com. If you like movies you will want to add a sub and surrounds at some point, but if it is just for casual TV watching, two towers and center should do wonders. I just read an article about the increasing popularity of 2.1 and 3.1 stereo systems.

Also, you should get a good receiver if you can. A $700.00 receiver (new) or $400.00 receiver used should give you plenty of clarity.

Good luck!

this is all great info, thank you guys!

any suggestions for receivers or what to look for with receivers

i will do some research on the rf 52 and 62 and see if any are listed on craigs

here is another question, do you think it is worth the extra couple of hundred dollars to go ahead and get the II models that just came out, or will the older ones be sufficient for what i want to do?

thank you

• Moderators

For receivers, many of us have owned, used and recommend brands like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Marantz...all very well made and will work great for Home Theater.

Most of us are big fans of Craigslist and buying used. You can save yourself a ton of cash right now. Remember, it's still very much a buyers market. Do not hesitate to negotiate. If the seller knows you have cash and are ready to pick it up if you can come to an agreement on the price, they are more likely to work with you. Never hurts to offer less. You can always increase your offer.

ok can some others chime in on the rf-82 or rf-62

found a pair of rf 62 for 425, do others agree they might be better for voice/speech?

also a pair of rf82

and i found a pair of rf5 on craigs???

so any input is great

i am not sure what to look for in the receiver, i think if i have 125 w speakers according to the klipsch site i need 140w or so receiver, is this rite?

other than hdmi that i need , anything else to look for

why does this run altogether when i post, i have 2-3 lines between each question, but when i post it all runs together, is it because i am safari/apple? so weird

ok can some others chime in on the rf-82 or rf-62 found a pair of rf 62 for 425, do others agree they might be better for voice/speech? also a pair of rf82 so any input is great i am not sure what to look for in the receiver, i think if i have 125 w speakers according to the klipsch site i need 140w or so receiver, is this rite? other than hdmi that i need , anything else to look for why does this run altogether when i post, i have 2-3 lines between each question, but when i post it all runs together, is it because i am safari/apple? so weird

Courtney, i just helped out another forum member who is local to the area as well. I gave him a listen of my system and i am helping guide him to buying his first used surround system. I am very familar with the local phx market craigslist, i watch it everyday for deals.

My rf-5 speakers are about 10 years old, i wouldnt trade them in for new RF-82 II's. Klipsch refines their speakers over the years but that doesn't always mean you have to buy the newest to get the ultimate sound.

From what you are saying, i gather that you really don't need a full surround system if all you are worrying about is clarity of speech and amplitude. The reasonb why most of us buy a surround sound is to fully improve the sound quality and to create an at home cinema experience. Surrounds (speakers to the sides or behind you) are really only used about 15%-20% and help to give you an enveloping sensation that the sound is all around you. In most cases and most tv watching the surrounds go unused. Some movies however are teaming with surround effects while others have none what so ever.

Any of the reference series is going to be clean and clear for you as far as sound goes. I would say that the rf-62's would be the smallest i'd go but that is personal preference. The rf-82's have a larger sound presence than the rf-62's and that is a sound characteristic that i prefer.

Here is a link to a pair of RF-5's on craigslist:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/2276351966.html
i like the rf-5's more than the RF-3's because the rf-5's are more vocally open sounding to me. for 550, you cant go wrong with those towers.

This is an RF-35 set (if i remember correctly)
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/2245074441.html
this is a pretty good price for a full home theater, id offer 650 on that.

Vocal clarity is what you are after and if that is all you care about then you dont need to worry about that rest of the cinema experience (subs and surrounds). In this case all you really would need and would benefit from would be a center channel and the left and right frontal speakers.

As far as your receiver is concerned you can pretty much drive klipsch speakers with only a few watts of power, they are very efficient speakers. The biggest power usage comes in when the speakers produce lower frequencies, say, anything under 60hz. You can change the crossover on most receivers so your speakers dont produce frequencies below 60hz or 80 hz or 100hz or 120hz. I have a sony receiver and it does the job....i would much prefer a denon or harman kardon, onkyo or marantz because they are far more refined pieces of equipment.

FYI, the majority of receivers, over 90% i think is a fair statistic to throw out there are not rated in such a matter that the info is useful to consumers. When sony says 100watts X 5 channels, its correct, but its on how they calculate and determine that stat. Not all companies rate their receiv ers the same way either. Using the sony example, with all 5 channels driving actual speakers you are really only getting 30-70 watts of actual power. Some manufacturers are more solid ratings than others but general rule of thumb is that you need to almost chop what they are saying in half to get a reasonable number. As i said, a decent receiver will drive your klipsch towers fine. Most people who dont have power amps have receivers and their receivers yield the power i stated above and their speakers are fine!

this is great, getting more educated all the time

wish the guy with rf82 and center group would email me back but he hasnt, that might be the way to go

i did email the guy with the rf5 set up

where are you located in scottsdale? i am up in phx working today and maybe could hook up with you and hear your system if you are around and not busy

i am excited and looking forward to getting something together

there are a few good deals new on ebay with whole set ups with warranty, do you think it is worth going that route for a few hundred more?

I have the RF-62 with RC-62, RS-42s, with a Sub-12 and I couldn't be happier. My receiver is Onkyo TX-SR608. This is a great 'high end' entry level receiver. Look at newegg.com and amazon for all of the the above. Enjoy!

Klipsch RF-62s

Klipsch RC-62

Klipsch RS-42s

Klipsch Sub-12

Onkyo TX-SR608

Samsung 42" LCD

Apple TV

PS3

SubXero is right about the RF-82 and similar (RF-5, RF-3, and RF-35) having a bigger sound pressence and sounding great. I'm about to hook mine up in my dedicated theater room. Just waiting for carpet. However, I have the RF-25s (older version of the RF-62s) with an RC-3 (older version of the RF-62) playing without surrounds in our family room and they are really fantastic and I would highly recommend them. I didn't think I would ever go smaller than a 6.5 inch woofer, but I do also own the WF-35s (three 5.25 inch woofers) and they have absolutely stunning clarity. They are higher priced than the RFs due to the cabinet material and design (stunning) but don't have quite the output of the bigger reference series.

I also auditioned the RF-52 II and RF-42 II and was very impressed with their clarity and crispness. I read once that the mid-range dialogue was best transferred through a 4 inch or 5.25 inch woofer (all else being equal) and that has been my experience. I wouldn't hesitate to buy those speakers for what you are looking for, however, you are likely to find a better deal on RF-82s if you are going used. There are a lot of them out there and they tend to have a bigger mark down from retail for second owners than the smaller RF-62s, 52s, and 42s.

Bottom line is that I don't think you can go wrong with a matched set of RF-42s thru RF-82s (two towers and a center) and it comes down to budget and preference for what you want in your system.

Good luck and make sure to let us know how it turns out!