Old copared to new

Tinman

Hi, I am a new member but a long time owner and fan of klipsch speakers. I own chorus II speakers along with many other models, is it me or does the older klipsch speakers just sound a whole lot better than most of the new model? P.S Hope this is not an old flame question.

Tinman,

Don't know if you read any of my posts about the A/B test me and my friend did with his KLF20s and my Cornwalls but I honestly would be happy with EITHER of these speakers sound wise.I'd wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me that they sound similiar but in fact it is true.

You have to take into account what music your listening to,sound equiptment used,and room acoustics and all three of these elements were the same when we testsed these fine speakers.

Jeff

I too have had the perception that most of the newer models suck compared to the heritage series. In my post thirties, I finially decided that the Heresys I own were no longer serving my ears well. Too raspy, very little bass, is that some distortion that I hear on those CD's?

I purchased some B&W 602s as replacements. Their drivers are incredibly detailed and the price was close to what I paid for the Heresy's nearly twenty years earlier. Great speaker for its size, but the soundstage and volume of sound is no where near the Heresy. I looked high and low for a better speaker, finally giving in to listening to the Reference RP-3 series. WOW. If the B&W's could only push its sound out, away from the speaker toward my ears and add nearly overwhelming bass, they would sound like these new Klipsch.

If I were to design these speakers, I would cut down on the "overwhelming-ness" of the bass, replace that cheesy looking copper color aluminum midrange speaker with something that looks more sophisticated, but has about the same tonal and range characteristics (yup, I tried the B&W Kevlar driver in place of the aluminum unit on my RP-3s, but it had the wrong tonal qualities to work well <not to mention impedance, etc> ).

Turning the bass waaay down though, and sitting back, with my eyes closed, they (the RP-3s) are an impressive speaker. Cleaner than my heresy's in the upper end. Smooth throughout the whole range (except in the deeper bass), than any of the heritage speakers that I remember (Heresy, Klipschorn, Cornwall) I would like to compare them with the Chorus. I think the Chorus may be better. (Why did Klipsch stop building that incredible speaker?). I think in volume of sound, these older speakers could beat the RP-3 and RP-5, but at least for these two, I think they are overall superior to all the older speakers (possibly excepting the Chorus).

Just my opinion...

Although..Nothing beats the sound of a tree being felled playing back through the Klipschorn (memory from circa 1983 with a Perreaux Amp and Preamp, Nakamichi Dragon). Something about that punch that you can feel in your chest and gut and vibrates up through your esophagus. Stunning.

Nice post, I just might have to go down to the store and find me a pair of those RP-3 OR 5S and give them a listen. B&W are great speakers but they are to power hungry and do not do justice with rock and roll, I agree with your description their sound. Mike