Question about the K-33E for Cornwalls

Thrusti

Hi everyone, first post... I've been lurking here for quite awhile and reaping the wealth of everyones knowledge, you guys are the best!

I've got a question about the K-33E drivers that are used for the Cornwalls. About a year and a half ago, I picked up a pair of 1980 Cornwalls for about $350 CDN which is a great deal. The old walnut finish was dull and worn out, so my dad and I refinished the cabinets in a lighter blonde finish and repainted the baffle hunter green.

One thing I noticed when I opened up the back of the speakers was that the bass drivers had been replaced by JBL drivers, I believe they are 130As. One of the the cones had been torn and poorly glued back together and the other cone is in ok condition.

Sonically the speakers sounded ok, but I have been itching to get them back to their original configuration with all Klipsch drivers. I've read lots about the K-33Es on the forums, but I was wondering what peoples opinions were on how the current drivers compare to vintage K-33Es. I'm trying to determine if it's worth my while to seek out an old pair of K-33Es or buy a new pair from Klipsch.

I was also curious to find out about how much people are paying in the US for each K-33E that Klipsch sells.

Thanks everyone,

Kevin

Thrusti

I would not worry about trying to find a pair from the early 80's, but would buy the latest K33(whatever) directly from Klipsch. You never know what shape the voice coils are in etc from the pictures on ebay.

Tom

I also have been watching the prices and was blown away at the $350 that happened this week. A few weeks back somebody had a buy it now at $250 and somebody actually did it.

I just wnated to scream - YOU CAN BUY THEM NEW FOR $100 A PIECE FROM KLIPSCH!!!!!!!! Actually I think I did only no body heard me as I was alone in my office.

JM

Tom, Klipsch sells the K-33 for around $100.00 and that includes shipping. I recently bought one for my Cornwall II's 1989 model.

Mine was actually a K-34 but the only difference is the gasket on mine is not as thick because mine mount from the front. I talked to Trey Cannon about this that was the only difference.

Dan

Thanks for the pricing info guys. I checked with the Canadian Klipsch distributor up here and he says they sell the K-33Es for CDN$278 a piece or CDN$500/pair + shipping which is about US$319! I've been trying to figure out if it'd be worth my while to order them from Klipsch USA and ship them to my brother in California instead. Does anyone know if Klipsch USA ships to Canada?

As well, no one has any opinions about the old K-33E vs the newer one? Or are they so similar that there's no real sonic difference?

Kevin

Thrusti

I would call Klipsch's 800 number off the web site to see if you can get them shipped up north there hey.

Like my Canadian Accent! cwm16.gif

That price sounds kind of high from your dealer.

As far as the Sonic quality and performance - They will be so simular I would not worry about it. The way speakers are built and components used in construction are different (hence the model number changes).

JM

Hey guys, I just called 1-800-KLIPSCH to inquire about the prices and yep, they are going for US$100 a piece plus shipping. However I have been trying to work out the possible duty and taxes to figure out if it really is worth my while to get them from the US rather than Canada. I know that because of NAFTA, some items have reduced or no duty. Does anyone know where speaker parts fall under? Any Canadians here who have bought large speaker parts from Klipsch?

Thanks,

Kevin