have new Puppy - first time dog owner

mbajner

I do not know of any dogs lately that have not already been neutered when one purchases them

Not good getting a neutered or spayed puppy at 8 weeks is not medically advisable. Males and females alike should develop their secondary sex traits prior to being altered.

I just "cant wait" until ours starts...Sad I would think with 3 males though you will be having a lot of fun!!! We still have 3 or 4 months to go though.

Just noticed the Mali in your avatar.

Yep they are great dogs!! Ours is not a working dog. We do obidience traing with her though, always suprises me how fast she catches on to what we want her to do.

6,5 months now

mbajner- Did the breeder tell you this dog would not get big? Just wondering because the Labradoodle in our training is also 6,5 months old and is just as big as ours in size and weight. Ours is pushing about 40 lbs and comes up to my knee (I am 5' 11" ) I did not know there were different forms of Labradoodles.

I just "cant wait" until ours starts...Sad I would think with 3 males though you will be having a lot of fun!!! We still have 3 or 4 months to go though.

Just noticed the Mali in your avatar.

Yep they are great dogs!! Ours is not a working dog. We do obidience traing with her though, always suprises me how fast she catches on to what we want her to do.

6,5 months now

We've been Mali owners for the last 16 years. current "collection is 3 boys n a girl. Fantastic dogs. We play in Schutzhund with them. At some point will probably add agility to the mix as well.

We've been Mali owners for the last 16 years. current "collection is 3 boys n a girl. Fantastic dogs. We play in Schutzhund with them. At some point will probably add agility to the mix as well.

4 Mali?!?[:|] Man you know how much attention they need, we got our hands full with one!! Unfortunately we do not have the time for Schutzhund training but we are putting together an agility course just for kicks.

yes, the breeder did tell us she would not get big, that is what we wanted

her mom was only 13lbs and the dad was 25lbs, she was one of the smaller ones in the liter

Just curious what if any type of doggy activities you might have a flair for. Her size and weight as an adult should make her a fun little agility gal.

no defined activities so far planned. working on getting the yard puppy proof. getting a fence installed and some yard work done. should be ready for her to run around soon.

working on simple commands, sit, stay, gothca, and down. does very well with sit and down. not too keen on the stay part and does not like the gothca thing at all. Bella likes her freedom.

I agree with J agility is good for energy bundles. Don´t forget the more you interact with your dog the less he or she will be prone to taking your house/yard apart. You do not have to do it in a club or anything, just for you and the dog building agility jumps and poles is easy and you guys would have loads of fun.

What is gothca? I think I have been in Germany to long lol. All dogs like there freedom, what every you do dont get discouraged when commands do not function right away. Sometimes you have to find the right motivation for the dog and each dog is different. My dog Sion can be highly motivated with playing but the crem de la crem is cheese. Sometimes it takes a while before the dog knows exactly what you want.

Sion is now catching on with commands from a distance. Now we can bring her in sit tell her to stay and from 15 or so yards away tell her to come. Then when she is around 10 yards away we tell her to sit. The first 2 weeks that we did this she just ran over to us sat down and looked at us like, "OK I sat now lets play!!!" Now she sits when we tell her to and it dosent even matter if we are near her or not.

A trainer for K9 told me that a dog has to do a command thousands of times before the command is really pasted into its brain, that is why sometimes during starer training some dogs will do everything perfect and 2 days later look at you like they have no Idea what you are talking about. It is all about repetiton and motivation!!!

"gothca" is holding onto the collar and the dog should not fuss or pull away and not get bothered by it. most of the time no one grabs the dog by the collar at all unless something is wrong so want them to get used to being held and it is OK

tonight is round #2 for the training, will be my first time there. I missed the first session so my wife took Bella herself. looking forward to it.

agree about the command thing, need to do it over and over and over again before they really get it. we did the "give me paw" thing a initially did it after a few tries. waited a few days and tried it again and she looked at us like what?

Here is one that will make you chuckle. Since I train in Schutzhund, my commands are in German. The down command is "Platz". When I taught Jake to platz, I used food initially to lure him down. (Side note: Jake will crawl across molten glass for food/treats). The food being a strong motivator worked quite well. Before long I could fade the lure and just tap my foot and say platz and Jake would drop like he was shot. His down is still super rapid fast today. Weeeeeel being a "new” competitive obedience trainer I saw my success with Jake as an affirmation of "My training skills". Fast forward to Bodhi. Same technique, Bodhi downs really fast as well, when lured with food. OK says I, move to the foot tap as a transitional stage. Nope Bodhi does not see the foot tap as a cue each time, in-fact he only downed about 15% in response to the foot tap. Obviously being a successful trainer of one dog in this activity it cannot be my training technique that faulty. Ahhhh persistence thats what I need!!!! Soooo I tap my foot Bodhi just looks at me, try again and again and again.........nothing. By this point I am frustrated and my wife is in hysterics almost falling out of her chair laughing. Yet there is Bodhi just smiling away doing nothing when I tap my foot!!!! Finally I get my wife to calm down and breath, and I ask what the *&^%$#@ are you laughing at???? Again out of breath she starts to haw haw almost uncontrollably but regains her composure and says Jim he is doing exactly what you are asking of him, and I bellow out “WHAT????? Are you nuts he is NOT doing what I say” Unrelentingly she laughs again and says yes he is. (all the while Bodhi is facing me.) When you tap your foot Bodhi taps his. Suuure enough I’d tap my left foot and say “Platz” and Bodhi would tap his right front paw. I tap my right foot and say “Platz” an d good ole Bodhi would tap his left front paw. He’d perfectly match my foot tap with the corresponding front paw all the while just smiling looking at me. Dogs are awesome ;-)

well did the second training class. I sat as an observer and my daughter took the training lead which she does very well with Bella. they thought the OFF command and Body Blocking to avoid an object they should not get too. Went over a good way to pickup and hold the puppy. SInce these are smaller dogs the technique might not apply to larger dogs. Play time is also part of the class and all the puppies enjoy it. there are five other puppies in the class and it it interesting on how they interact to each other. on puppy went home very early since she was barking way too much and would not stop. Bella had a very nice time and enjoyed herself. Looking forward to next time.

Bella is not totally motivated by food to do her commands which is good. of course will take a treat if offered. likes cheerio's as a treat.

Thats great!! Training should be fun and if everyone enjoys it so much the better!!

Play time should always be part of the training, this helps to get her integrated with other dogs. Barking is showing how much she enjoys herself so dont be to hard on her. A good technique is to teach her to bark!!! When she barks on command it is easier to get her to calm down, no treats if I bark and when I do I get treats.

Cheerio´s are good. No sugar and very little cals. Motivation comes in many shapes and sizes, food is only one. When play is a good motivation than all the better.

• 5 weeks later...