Speakers to use with Forte's to create a Dolby Surround System?

The_Straw

I currently own a set of Forte's and want to add a 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound system. I'm wondering whether I can use my existing Forte's as the front R & L speakers? And what speakers would work best with them?Or am I better off just buying a complete surround system? The Forte's are very efficient. They will be in a room 25' x25' with a catheral ceiling. Assume receiver has 100 Watts per channel.

Thanks in Advance

------------------

The_Straw

(that stirs the drink)

Your best bet would be to find a center channel that is no longer in production: either the KLF-C7 or the Academy (the best match, but hard to find). The surrounds don't seem to be as crucial; the RS-3 or RS-7's have been used by many classic Klipsch owners with very successful results reported.

The most accurate results would be the purchase of 3 or 4 other Forte's: two for surround, one (optional) for rear center, and one front center; however, the front center would require modification if it is placed on the correct listening plane (see forum member Horned for details on his KLF30 mods). As indicated, this would provide the ideal surround system, but would be difficult technically and financially.

I did not mention the subwoofer; Klipsch makes some solid subs; SVS seems to be a big hit with Klipsch and non-Klipsch owners alike... I am pleased with my Hsu passive, mated with the NHT sub amp (the Hsu amp is a little more than my budget allowed); the only drawback with the Hsu and the SVS is that they are available my online or mail, but good luck finding one to audition.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

A big-*** HDTV

Heresy IIs for center & surrounds are an exceptional match for Forte I mains... actually other than Forte Is all the way around, I doubt if you could do ANY better. Rule of thumb: match the midrange.

This message has been edited by jerohm on 04-20-2002 at 08:41 AM

Straw

Definetly keep the Forte's. Match the midrange as posted above using Fortes or Heresy2 for Center. Fortes or any Heresy line for rears.

If you like the Heritage sound and are use to your Fortes, you will probably be disappointed if you replace them.

Stay with the Heritage line......

JM