Opinions Please Audio Research

artarama

So I have an opportunity to get a near mint set of an AR SP3 and AR D75a. Fully functioning and currently running, I have not listen to the system yet. And I am thinking the deal will be somewhere around $2K.

My question is not so much about the deal, but about the quality of this gear both sonically and build quality. From what I can gather in my research it is very good sonically and can hold it's own with some pretty high end stuff of that vintage. However it also seems the amp in many cases likes to eat tubes. I don't play really loud too often and am very carefull with my stuff. While I am not overly crazy about the looks of the gear the sound is the most important.

I currently listen to my Khorns from a HH Scott 299a/b and 90% vinyl. I only want to pursue this if it will be a significant upgrade.

You guy's steered me in the right direction with the Scott and the Khorns any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

So I have an opportunity to get a near mint set of an AR SP3 and AR D75a. Fully functioning and currently running, I have not listen to the system yet. And I am thinking the deal will be somewhere around $2K.

My question is not so much about the deal, but about the quality of this gear both sonically and build quality. From what I can gather in my research it is very good sonically and can hold it's own with some pretty high end stuff of that vintage. However it also seems the amp in many cases likes to eat tubes. I don't play really loud too often and am very carefull with my stuff. While I am not overly crazy about the looks of the gear the sound is the most important.

I currently listen to my Khorns from a HH Scott 299a/b and 90% vinyl. I only want to pursue this if it will be a significant upgrade.

You guy's steered me in the right direction with the Scott and the Khorns any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Artarama,

I have heard both Cornwalls' and Chorus' driven by an Audio Research LS-7 preamp and Classic 60 Amp and, in my honest opinion, the sound did not come anywhere close to as refined and sweet sounding as a Scott 299D that had been reworked by NOS Valves. I'm not saying that Audio Research gear is bad sounding, mind, just that, for me, the Scott was better sounding by comparison.

Something else to consider about AR gear... replacement tubes purchased through AR are extremely expensive. Why they charge so much, I do not know, when similar, off the shelf and tested tubes, from various vendors, cost only a fraction of what AR charges.

As for build and reliability... build is superior to most, and reliability is about average. Again, I'd have to say that the old Scotts', Macs', and Fishers' seem to hold it together longer than a lot of AR gear of the same vintage, though much of that depends on the way the gear has been handled/treated throughout the years.

So, to answer your question directly... no, I do not think that getting the AR gear will be a significant upgrade from your current Scott. However, if your Scott has not passed through the hands of NOS Valves, you are certainly missing out on the single most beneficial upgrade on offer to you; one that will definitely breath new life into your Khorns and bring a huge smile to your face. JMHO. I'm sure others will chime in, but I hope this helps.

Marty

i used an AR amp/pre combo with B&W 801's and ProAc monitors a while back and they sounded good and were well-built. Though I've never heard AR gear through Khorns, my experience suggests that while you would hear more authoritative bottom end, the mids and highs would come across a bit sterile compared to the Scott. A well-worked Scott is a great match with Khorns (and horns in general) and you'd have to spend a bit more $ to find an amp with better sound quality. That being said, you'll never know whether you'd prefer the AR gear unless you hear it in your system. Have fun.

The AR D75/76 sound great on Klipschorns, BUT.........

They are very expensive to own over a period of years. They eat expensive output tubes, drivers tubes too. The screen regulator circuit frequently fails. The power supply caps fail (there are six in series-parallel), there is a multi-section cap that also fails. The caps are only available from AR and are expensive.

Unless the seller could prove that it had all those issues taken care of in the last year or two then the asking price is WAY too high.

The SP2 is a prettty old preamp. I read allot on Audio Research since January and just purchased a used SP-14 preamp for $ 1050 including shipping and extra tubes.

The asking price seemed a a little steep for the two components. Some ARC components have excellent reviews and others are less favorable. SP-9 is reviewed poorly but the SP-9 MK III is reviewed quite well.

I know very little about ARC power amps. My intention is to first use the SP-14 with my Scott 208 power amp and Chorus IIs.

Eventually I will compare the ARC SP-14 to the updated CJ PV10B with my VRD and Belles.

I like all the vintage Scott integrateds but to get the bass weight and depth of soundstage potential out of your K Horns you would need to make a larger investment in separates or a highly regarded integrated.

• Like 1

They are a complete waste of money and effort. ESPECIALLY with Klipsch speakers as I found out the hard (and expensive) way. Extremely noisy and unmusical. I can not be more adamant about this particular brand. I can provide more specifics to those who need to know and save you much grief.