La Scala setup for both 2 ch and HT?

HOGFAN

I am looking for advice in the best (price/performance) single setup for La Scala's....for 2 channel and HT (50/50). Specifically, I'm looking for power recommendations.....under $1,000 in total. I currently have an HK AV 347, which is a decent receiver for HT, but no where near the sound quality of my HK 730, for 2 ch listening. Is there an AVR or separates that will give me the best "all in one package"? Again, I do have a budget, and really don't have the room or the money for two separate systems. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hogfan

What do you not like about the HK AV 347 in two channel mode? What other speakers are you running for your HT? Do the two separate systems really take up all that room? The first two questions could help. The last is a snide one that you might hear.

My room is 15 x 20, with TV and LS's on 15' wall (with built-in entertainment center). Currently, I am using a Quartet as center until I can find another LS. The HK 347 sounds OK in 2 ch, but does not compare to the HK 730 for music.....the 730 just sounds warmer, with a much stronger/punchier bass. As crazy as it sounds, I use both amps. When I listen to music.....I actually disconnect the LS's from the 347 and connect to the 730. I know this probably sounds silly.....but there is that much difference in sound. So, it would be nice to have a single system that does both HT and 2 ch very well. Is there an avr out there that would work, or should I be looking at pre/pro separates.....something like Rotel, Parasound, etc. (probably used) that would work best?

Thanks,

Hogfan

Connect your LS to the HK730 all the time. Connect the R+L pre-outs of the HK347 to an AUX input of the HK730. When you listen to stereo, use the HK730. When you listen to multi-channel, use both. The HK730 is then an external amp for the HK347 and you have to set the input on the 730 and the volume control to a fixed (high) setting which you have calibrated once (which you have to remember to turn down when you switch back to stereo usage!!!); the variable volume control will then be used onlyon the HK347.

Connect your LS to the HK730 all the time. Connect the R+L pre-outs of the HK347 to an AUX input of the HK730. When you listen to stereo, use the HK730. When you listen to multi-channel, use both. The HK730 is then an external amp for the HK347 and you have to set the input on the 730 and the volume control to a fixed (high) setting which you have calibrated once (which you have to remember to turn down when you switch back to stereo usage!!!); the variable volume control will then be used onlyon the HK347.

I appreciate the advice. This is certainly an option. But, I was hoping for recommendation on an overall better solution for both 2ch and HT. Otherwise, this may be what I have to do. Is there a much better avr for my needs.....that would be better than the 347 (HT) and the 730 (2 ch)? Or, are there separates that would perform better than what I have......within my budget....that would be worth the investment?

Yamaha RXV2600 here. I have two setup modes, switchable from the remote.

HT mode uses my front LS as SMALL, crossover to Klispch THX subs. Cornwalls in rear are set to LARGE.

2ch mode switches the LS to LARGE, no sub, no surrounds. Switching only to stereo mode left the subs on and at the lower volume I listen to music at (compared to HT) the sub kept switching on and off and I really don't care for the additional sub bass, personal preference is for the sound of the LS alone.

If I want, I can use the DIRECT mode and play the LS without any subs or YPAO (parametric eq) at all.

M

I use a peachtree decco for two channel audio/HT. amazing one box solution. includes 50wpc amp, fed by tube preamp, fed by phillips TDA1543 chipped NOS DAC. three in one for fantastic value.

cheapy blue ray player digital out to decco, into fotre II

cheapmusicalnirvana.