PC hard drive question

Coytee

Have a PC at work. Something got corrupted (no virus as it turns out) so to make a long story short, I was going to reformat.

Then, got the bright idea... I have a 1.5 TB drive at home sitting unused. Why not use it?

So, I swap them out and setup windows.

After setting things up, if you go to properties, it says the new hard drive is something like 130,000,000,000 mb's (I forget the exact number)

The key to me is it says off to the side "GB" and not "TB".

This got me wondering if XP can see a 1.5 TB hard drive. I thought it could and the pc I'm now using at home (looking as I'm typing) says 1.81TB

I'm wondering what I've done wrong or will a windows update fix that?

There are no other partitions. I do not yet have ANY service pack done, I was hoping that might be one of the issues. I'm in a bit of a quandry first.

I've canned my old office PC and this PC was one that I was using at home. I had my 'office' Windows disk...at the office (duh!) and my home Windows disk... well, you can guess where!

So I've now taken my home pc to the office and can't find my 'home' windows disk. I used my office Windows disk and am getting an upgrade message when I try to register it. (I guess it sees that I'm trying to install this on a different pc)

So now I have to try to find my home Windows disk to get the correct code. It seems THEN I can do the service pack upgrades.

yeesh. Or I can hit the easy button and pay something like $150... but I'm too stubborn right now to give in to that!

931 GB per TB

Hard drive manufacturers calculate storage capacity at 1,000 per KB. Windoze calculates it at 1024. One uses base 10 the other base 2.

HD 1.5 TB should be about 1.396 TB.

I'd say that is what you are dealing with.

Found this:

kilo = 210 = 10241 = 1024
mega = 220 = 10242 = 1,048,576
giga = 230 = 10243 = 1,073,741,824
tera = 240 = 10244 = 1,099,511,627,776

see?

see?

lol.. I'm a 'push the button and watch it turn on' kinda guy!

What you said is over my head although I guess I understand the gist of it.

Question (to anyone)... I found my 'home' Windows install disk so now I have the original disk that went with the pc. When I get back to the office I'm presuming I can use the install code somewhere to validate it.... as contrasted with reinstalling it again.

Where would I go to do this or, when the register screen comes up, is it part of that process? I've never used a different set of install disks before so this is a first for me.

You should be looking at the Microsoft Knowledgebase for answers to these questions.Am I correct that you now have a new installation of XP on the system, and you are worried about verification? If you cannot verify this install, then you need MS KB, and may even need to talk to a MS tech, which is like pulling hen's teeth. Frankly, I am not even sure what your trouble is.... You have a new install and things are working or not??

Update: I came in (to work) over the weekend and piddled around with this for several hours. I was able to get the key code working so everything is now verified and working properly. I still have a video & audio driver to track down but those are further down on my list in lieu of actually getting operational.

I have done the MS update after update after update! You might speculate that they'd bundle them together for a singular event but it seems that is not the case. Everytime I think I'm done with the updates, I check...and there is another.

So, I don't yet know where I am with the updates. I THINK I've done the SP3. I know I attempted it but right around there I froze so I shut down and tried again.

The properties on my C drive are now showing a gross capacity of 127 GB and it should be 1.5 (or what ever the formatted difference is) TB's.

Given that I am not 100% done with the updates, will the system automatically see the 1.5T HD or will I need to do something to it?

I don't mind getting hosed on some of my HD by doing something wrong but I don't really want to lose 90% of it 'just because'.

I'm in middle of yet another update so I won't know until these are done if these alone will fix this issue. Thoughts??

I went into 'Manage' and found the missing hard drive space. Seems I had to assign it a virtual drive letter. I don't know if I did something wrong somewhere as I don't really care for this logic but... it is what it is (seems to be anyway)

So right now I have other challanges than to worry about this.

Here's my next hurdle...

I use Outlook Express. I haven't deleted anything on my OLD hard drive. My old hard drive is currently "D".

I have been able to import all incoming/outgoing emails to my new installation however, I can't retrieve my contacts list. Since Jacksonbart is on this list it is indeed, priceless and I must go to all lengths to destroy .... I mean recover it!

Someone said "you must export it first"

Great... no problem. However, when I go to my "D" drive and drill into the folder to find the .exe file for OE on THAT drive, it still initiates the 'new' version of OE on my C drive with zero contacts.

How do I export them if I can't see them to export?

I am presuming (hoping) that they are not a casulty of this situation. They were accounted for last Thursday when I swapped the hard drives around.

So there was another partition after all?

Outlook express is simple - boot OS from your old drive (set boot priority in BIOS), launch OE and create an export. Reboot from your new OS drive and, ahem, import the export.

I don't think his other drive is bootable, but he never really said I reckon.

Outlook Express user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under" Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View

After that, just do a search for *.wa?

Here is a link with lots of OE help.

http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

I don't think his other drive is bootable

Seems to be the case. It wasn't even visible to me until I went into disk manager and saw it there. By assigning it a drive letter, I can now see it. I don't know why it didn't go 100% as my C drive as that is my preference. Be that as it may, I might just have to live with it. I'm not going to spend any $$ to buy a partition software program and I'm not going to reformat again (in case I did something wrong) so it is what it is.

My "F" drive (old one) is selected to show all hidden files. I'm beginning to think that file is corrupt. I'm still giving it a go to find it but, my high expectations are beginning to wane.

It's not the end of the world, just a pain in the rumpus

The file may be corrupt, but there is a backup as well. Look for the wab backup file...

You can create a logical partition with the free space. Store data like pictures, music and movies there. You can also upgrade the operating system to anything newer and you will have partition expanding built in. Started in Vista.