Updating Crossover for Industrial Lascala's

Max2

Im thinking about freshening things up a bit in my '92 Industrials. I believe they have the AL-3 networks. I have read about several upgrades from different outfits and how some make things too bright and so on. I guess Im looking for what the most popular upgrade people are going with now and most importantly...the most cost effective. Thanks for the help

Guest " "

The AL-3 is a pretty good crossover network. It is unlikely that you will notice a difference in sound by doing a capacitor upgrade since the crossover uses film capacitors.

Most folks are seeking to upgrade to the AL-3 rather than move away from it.

Going to AL-4's would be an upgrade, but costly.

Thanks Speakerfritz. I have heard talk of X-over components getting old and possibly some are oil filled and can dry out in time? I was considering just getting a rebuild kit. As cheap as the kit is, should I even mess with it?

Guest " "

here's an extract from Bob's product offering.

Capacitors in the crossovers degrade with time. Replacing them will bring the crossover back to factory specs. Some type AL-3 crossovers are over 15 years old and there is a good chance that at least some of the original capacitors are bad by now.

There are a couple of electrolytic caps in the AL-3 .

here's an extract from Bob's product offering.

Capacitors in the crossovers degrade with time. Replacing them will bring the crossover back to factory specs. Some type AL-3 crossovers are over 15 years old and there is a good chance that at least some of the original capacitors are bad by now.

There are a couple of electrolytic caps in the AL-3 .

Well I guess I need to dig out my old soldering iron. Thanks Speakerfritz.

Well I had a good weekend. My Denon 4311 came in on Friday and the caps came in on Sat. I managed to play with the new reciever a little bit Fri. night and some Sat. I went ahead and ran Audyssey before I updated the caps to see if I could see a difference on the graph....(as crude as they are I am doubting it). I searched online for a picture of an AL-3 with updated caps to make sure I got it right, but couldnt find one. Luckily the speakers still sound good! It may be the new AVR fooling me, but the mid and tweeter seem to have a little more definition or are possibly getting a little higher frequencies fed to them.

Guest " "

In an Industrial LS, they are in a sealed box, like a Heresy, so aren't as prone to corrosion as networks in standard LS. All mine work just fine, no new parts required.

If you have the tin can caps, you will be surprised how they fluctuate in measurements after the decades that have gone by. Doesn't matter if the caps where in sealed packaging in their original boxes, they still fluctuate. Overall, they tend to loose capacitance and increase in internal resistance, neither of which will hurt drivers in an AA network.

Does anyone have a photo of an AL-3 after the updating of the caps? I placed all the new caps where the old ones were, but that schematic sheet has me wondering if I should have changed something up.