Center channel seems to fluxuate

m00n

So I don't know if it's to be expected or not. But, when watching a DVD, the center channel seems to fluxuate in volume. Lets say there is some action going on. The voices in the center seem loud enough to hear just fine, but if the action goes away and all you here are just voices, you can hardly hear them. However, watching regular TV, I don't seem to get that. My speaker levels are all set to 0 with the exception of the surrounds. My base volume level is also set to 0 I belive.

Could there be a flaw in the receiver or is this just to be expected with 5.1?

Are there any ways that I can test to ensure that something could be wrong vs. just the way the movie was made? Something like a test DVD. I admit, i have not yet been able to completely adjust my speaker settings because my remote is so geeked out. Nor have I purchased a SPL meter to adjust them.

Thanks all.

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-23-2002 at 12:21 AM

moon, try upping your center level in the hk +5db. you

won't know for sure til u get & use that sound meter but more than likely the rc will need to be some above the level of the rf. til u get a meter u have to go by ear & sounds like your ears are tellin u to turn up the center level. Wink.gif

oh & your hk should produce test tones for your speakers which may help adjust levels even if just bu ear. Oh & read the manual. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-23-2002 at 12:41 AM

Heh, boa12. Actually, I have done the test tone thing. Durring test tones, it produces a constant level of volume. It's just when watching DVD.

At any rate, I am getting yet another Harman Kardon 520 on thrusday. I am taking this one back. I have been going round and round with a local dealer. I suspect they sold me a referbished receiver. Or one that had been previously sold. There were settings that were not factor default, the remote was missing, FM and AM antina was missing as well as the registration card. I really want my money back but apparently they have a store policy that I can only exchange or get an instore credit. I didn't know this when i walked out the door with it. After speaking with some other dealers around town, they all the same horrible things to say about the store where I bought my receiver. Actually I am calling Harman Kardon this morning to find out if there has been any maintenance done on this receiver.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Ya? Night Mode? Hmmm, I know my Harman has night mode. I have not played with it, but that does not mean it was not set by the previous owner of the receiver, who retuned it to the store that sold it to me and said it was brand new.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>