Klipschhorn anniversity 60

mcgonzi

Hi,
I would like to know how far the anniversary 60 can be put up away from the side and rear walls?

To get the corner effect - they need to be within about 18" (45 cm) from the side walls. The further away - the steeper the dip in FR around the 200-400 Hz band. Further than 18" will significantly decrease the FR below 100 Hz.

Can I set them up like normal speakers?

Yes - you can. But you'll need to construct false corners. You will still lose some lf response, but generally you will gain from the ability to pull the Khorns out of the corners and aim them at your listening position in order to get truly superior soundstage/stereo imaging. In this case, you'll want to pull the Khorns/false corners forward of electronics, racks, furniture, or protruding walls/ mantles/ shelves between the two speakers in order maximize imaging.

If you do not use false corners, then you will lose even more lf response. You could try the Khorns without false corners to see if that loss of FR is worth the smaller visual footprint.

Chris

How many Square Meters should the Room have for the anniversity 60

Maybe a better way to answer your question is to say that each of the floor dimensions of the room ideally should be at least 11 feet (3.4 meters) each dimension. The height should be 8' (2.4 meters)...higher is better. If the ceiling is lower, then you need to think about using some sort of acoustic diffusers on the ceiling about halfway between your speakers and your listening position.

But I'd guess that you already have your room in mind. It that is the case, and any of the dimensions are less than what is outlined above, you still should think about investing in them for the long haul. They still will sound good in a small room, but they will come alive in larger rooms.

Chris

Actually I think that size of a floor plan (assuming the 3.4 meter minimum dimension) would work pretty well.

If your two floorplan dimensions are almost the same (i.e., a square floorplan) then that would be important information in making a decision on what to do.

Chris

Guest " "

I had a set...you can put them anywhere you want....there's the best possible position..and the worst possible position.....the sealed back do not mitigate the short comings that would exist at the worst possible position.

are you saying that the anniversity 60 can be put up were you want and it will still have the same result as if it was in the corner??

I think he said that the sealed backs on the 60th Anniversary Khorn design is not a panacea for placing them poorly in a room. I would agree.

Which Center should be used with the Anniversary 60?

I'd use a Belle (discontinued but available used) or a La Scala (I or II) - if you can fit either of them in. I'd avoid the Academy (discontinued but available used), Cornwall, Heresy, Chorus, Forte, or something from the Klipsch Reference series, etc. Klipsch himself talked about this subject in his "Dope from Hope" newsletter from the early 1970s. I believe that the Belle was designed to be the center channel between two Khorns.

Is a Sub a must?

No it isn't, unless you're using your setup as a surround sound system for a home theater, or you like to listen to classical pipe organ music and you want to hear the lowest organ octave (from the 16' and 32' ranks) that is usually not reproduced in home audio.

If you are thinking about a adding a sub, then your room size and shape will be a big factor in the sub that you pick. You might be able to get away with a direct radiating sub for a smaller room, but your room may need something with more output and lower bass distortion. I'd recommend a horn-loaded sub in that case. There's a kit available from Danley Sound Lab and plans from Bill Fitzmaurice that will match the Khorn bass, IMHO, and won't break your budget.

Chris

I only watch movies in my HT, so would the Ultra thx 2 be the better choice instead of using the anniversary 60 with scala as center and danley sound lab as sub?

Apples and oranges. KHorns are better speakers, but were designed primarily for listening to music and require a paticular placement to maximize their potential. The THX Ultra IIs were designed specifically for HT and will likely be the better option base on what you said above.