RF-83s or RF-7iis - hard decision!

batchov

I purchased a pair of RS-42s and a RC-64 from a forum member here and am very happy with them. The problem is that my F2s are not able to keep up with them and I'm looking to upgrade the mains. My thought was to wait for a decent pair of 83s to pop up, but there are tough to find in the North West and shipping is a killer! Luckily I have family in Washington as I live in Vancouver, BC.

Also I'm not able to audition the 83s since Klipsch is tough to find here. But I was able to audition the RF-7iis! I took a trip to Marysville WA and they blew me away! They sounded absolutely outstanding! But for the cost - I couldn't justify it

I've now found found a pair for a good price and wondering if anyone has heard both the 83s and the RF-7iis. Basically I'm wondering if the RF-7iis are worth the extra money or are they pretty similar to the 83s??

Any help would be great - thanks!

i havent heard the rf7iis but have heard the rf7s rf83s and thx ultra ii, for me the rf83s were a easy choice, the price was right and they were the top of the line reference, im not sure how the 42s will play with the 83s and 64 but i know the 52s were pretty close when i had them and the 62s did give a little improvement and make it ideal, if you plan on keeping the 64 the easy choice is the rf83s, and when your spending good money youll want your front stage matched up, so ultimately i think it would be a waste of money to spend 2x (probably a little more) on rf7iis unless you plan on matching your other speakers in the future with the new line, id use the savings on the 83s to upgrade power equipment, rears, or sub if needed my .02 cents

That was my original plan to stick to finding the 83s - but I wish I could hear them! Hearing the RF-7iis was profound for me and I wonder if the 83s sound very similar or not. If they do, then there is no reason to spend the extra cash - even though the price for the rf-7iis are under $2000 new and not B-stock.

I've read that the reference ii will match up with the original reference. I was planning on keeping the RC-64 for now. 

Shipping is literally a killer. Only get the rf-83 of rf-7ii shipped freight or from a ruputable seller who will make things right if they are damaged upon shipment. Always inspect boxes when delivered and if the units are damaged refuse shipment. Since you already have the rc-64 rf-83s or rf-63s are the logical choice. The reference series ARE NOT timbre matched. They will work togethor but they are not matched, they have different crossovers, drivers and tweeters. Are the rf-7ii better than the rf-83s? My personal opinion is yes. Are they loads of money better ? My personal opinion is no.