Rear speaker question

Magneto_Plasmoid

Hey all,

I'm new to these forums, and glad to be apart of the Klipsch community and it's wealth of knowledge!

My Dad is just about to upgrade his home theatre, and has graciously decided to give me his F-3 front speakers out of his old HT. I currently have the Synergy F1 setup with the sub 12, and was hoping to use my F-1 speakers as my new rears, and then use the S-1s as surround backs. Would this work out ok or are the S-1s a better surround speaker and am I just better off selling my F-1s?

Cheers,

Magneto

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

With that setup, ideally, you would have the F3's up front, S-1's as surrounds placed on the side walls and use the F-1's as back surrounds on the back wall.

Check out the THX Speaker Placement Recommendations and Dolby's Home Theater Speaker Guide.

If you have an audio system that can play the new HD Audio formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-Master etc) from bluray disks, you'll want to separate the back speakers

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x30

If you do not have a receiver that can handle the new formats, THX suggests placing the surround back speakers close together

7-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

Well I had a c-3 f-3 and f-2 for surrounds set up. It worked quite well. I was also using hd300 satellites as rear surrounds. Only issue you'll have running 7 speakers is making sure you get enough power to them. I have only had experience with running off a single avr. Others with separates can chime in on those. I'm sure everyone will agree you are not going to be getting 100 watts per channel off your avr in 7.1. There is Also very little content out in true 7.1 anyway so I don't think you'll be missing much by only using 5.1..... So the f-1's are more sensative and will handle power moreeffiecntly than the s-2's. But the s-2's will spread your sound better with the 2 horns.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot for the advice guys, much appreciated. I ended up keeping the S2s as surrounds for my main setup after auditioning the difference, I did find that they
spread the sound around a bit better. I've now retired my F-1s to my bedroom TV with an old yamaha sub until I can find a better use for them.

Thanks again