Cornwall tweeter problem

I recently purchased some used klipsch 1983 cornwalls. The left speaker the tweeter doesnt seem to be working at all. On low volume ive put my ears right up to the mids and tweeters and hear nothing coming from the left tweeter. Overall the left side seems quite dull in sound like something isnt working correctly compared to the right speaker which sounds fine.

I dont have any ohm testers or fancy equipment to use to test the tweeter to see what trhe problem actually is. Could it be just the diaphragm needs changing? or is the entire tweeter blown and it needs completely new tweeters?

Some help in diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Either the tweeter is bad, the crossover is bad, or the wire is loose at the crossover.

I would swap the tweeter into the proper working speaker and see if it works, if it doesn't, the tweeter is bad (needs new diaphragm), if it does work then replace the caps in the other network (I would do both networks at the same time).

Hi thanks for the reply.

There doesnt seem to be any loose wires. The tweeters are soldered on and i dont have a soldering iron at this stage. Ive never soldered before. Would changing the diaphragms definately fix the problem? I heard tweeter diaphragms after this many years would be worn out and affecting the sound and are worth changing regardless. Is it possible it could be the voicecoil or a blown tweeter? Or would changing diaphragms definately fix the problem?

Unless you do the swap test that DJK suggests, you really won't know what is definitely the problem. It could be on the crossover board, the wire between the crossover and tweeter, the solder joint, rust under the screw at the crossover network, the diaphragm could be blown, or it could be pinched if you have a square mag tweeter . in a pinched diaphragm senerio replacing the voice coil wont fix the problem. It's pretty delicate work to fix a pinched diaphragm since it involves re-aligning magnets that have slipped, and gluing them in place so they don't move again during re-assembly.

I recently (late last year) picked up a pair of Heresy's with multiple paint coated birch cabinets. The price was too good to pass up on. The owner told me a midrange was bad. I brought them home and first thing I did was to hook them up and you could barely hear the mid on one speaker. I checked the crossover connections which all seemed very snug so I supposed the voice coil on the one mid was needing a replacement. After a while I went back and figured I would check the crossover connections again. I was able to turn the already snug connections about an extra 1/3 to 1/2 turns to make them solid. Bingo working mid. So I cleaned all the contact points on the crossovers and things were good as new. As I said the contacts were all snug and they did not look dirty or corroded but there was enough oxide to cause the problem. I cleaned everything and put a little silver loaded silicon grease on each contact to make sure they would stay clean for a very long time.

You can use a flashlight battery and a couple of wires to test your tweeter voice coil in place with out unhooking anything. Just get someone to hold one end of each wire to the contact points of the battery and then touch the tweeter terminals with the other end of the wires. You should hear a klick or scratchy noise when you do this. If so then your voice coil is probably just fine you just need to clean the contacts at the crossover. Do them all and use a little silicon dielectric gell or even a little vasiline on the contacts before you screw them back down tight as this will prevent future corrosion from happenng (just like on your car battery terminals). If you don't hear a sound then you need new diaphragms. Bob Crites can sell you a new set of Phenolic diaphragms which are superior to the stock ones for a very reasonable price. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

I recently (late last year) picked up a pair of Heresy's with multiple paint coated birch cabinets. The price was too good to pass up on. The owner told me a midrange was bad. I brought them home and first thing I did was to hook them up and you could barely hear the mid on one speaker. I checked the crossover connections which all seemed very snug so I supposed the voice coil on the one mid was needing a replacement. After a while I went back and figured I would check the crossover connections again. I was able to turn the already snug connections about an extra 1/3 to 1/2 turns to make them solid. Bingo working mid. So I cleaned all the contact points on the crossovers and things were good as new. As I said the contacts were all snug and they did not look dirty or corroded but there was enough oxide to cause the problem. I cleaned everything and put a little silver loaded silicon grease on each contact to make sure they would stay clean for a very long time.

You can use a flashlight battery and a couple of wires to test your tweeter voice coil in place with out unhooking anything. Just get someone to hold one end of each wire to the contact points of the battery and then touch the tweeter terminals with the other end of the wires. You should hear a klick or scratchy noise when you do this. If so then your voice coil is probably just fine you just need to clean the contacts at the crossover. Do them all and use a little silicon dielectric gell or even a little vasiline on the contacts before you screw them back down tight as this will prevent future corrosion from happenng (just like on your car battery terminals). If you don't hear a sound then you need new diaphragms. Bob Crites can sell you a new set of Phenolic diaphragms which are superior to the stock ones for a very reasonable price. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

If/When you do the battery test, there will still be sound coming from the mid/bass as well if everything is still hooked to the crossover. I recenlty had the same issue with a KHorn mid, and at some point, you just have to take the plunge and disconnect it (cut wires) to diagnose. My issue turned out to be a bad voice coil and I had to replace the diaphragm. Bob Crites fixed it. With the tweeter, shipping should be much more reasonable than with the mid driver! Good luck. My bet is a bad diaphragm. If you don't want to send it to Bob to get it fixed, you could always just buy a new (used) klipsch tweeter driver or Bob's CT 125 (??not sure I got the right number).

Thanks to eveyrbody for there help. I went and got an ohm metre and tested the drivers. The working tweeter was 6.2 the non working tweeteris reading infinity when i test it. Does this mean diaphragm needs changing and it will work or is the tweeter fried?

Yes It would seem so. Bob Crites is your man. You can buy a new set of phenolics from him. I can sell you a brand new set that I got to try out and then switched after a few days when I heard the Ti diaphragms. Send me a PM if you are interested. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...