hiss coming from all 5 speakers!

jefnel1

I have a perfectionism disorder...

I am experiencing a moderate hiss sound coming from the tweeters on my RF-3 mains, RC-3 center, SS-1 surrounds. It does not increase or decrease when I turn the volume up, nor does it dissappear or change shape when switching from component to component. I have Monster Cable interconnects on all my components, and I am using a Monster Power HTS2000 for clean power. I am using 14 guage standar speaker wire from Home Depot with gold compression banana connectors at the receiver. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX. Any suggestions???

Even though the hiss is not that annoying, I am concerned about damage to the speakers. Again, it is a constant hiss sound. Not a buzz. Any help will be appreciated.

All electronics make some unwanted noise of their own. This includes your amp, CD player etc. You can get some notion of the level by studying the signal to noise ratio spec for each electronic component. The noise of each device is additive, leading to an overall system s/n ratio or cumulative background noise level.

Low efficiency speakers mute this somewhat while high efficiency designs reveal it. No harm is done to your speakers and you should try to forget it rather than focus on it. Play some music and try to hear it then. Can't, right? It's just the entropy of Mother Nature.

Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate the information.

The hiss is only apparent when you stand about 2 feet away from the speakers. I should just enjoy my HT system and stop analyzing it for weaknesses. I have never owned high quality speakers like these before, so I didn't know what to expect. Damage to the speakers is my biggest concern. I also wanted to make sure that the $100's I invested in Monster Cables is paying off. Hopefully, they are doing their job.

Thanks again, and if anyone has anything else to add, I welcome the information.