RB-61 II's vs. the original RB-61

sbach11

Hi, I browsed the forum and did not find too much on a direct comparison between these two speakers. However, being new to Klipsch (and audio generally), I have a more basic question. What is the deal with all of the constantly changing speaker models, especially, it seems, with Klipsch? For example, the RB-35's (which I currently own) were made from 03 to 06, then replaced with the RB-81's for a few years, now there are the RB-81 II's. Do the new generations tend to be improvements on the prior generation, or not necessarily? Specifically, I am now looking to trade in my RB-35's for a set of RB-61's. But looking at the specs between the first and second generation RB-61's has me a little confused. The RB-61's have a frequency response down to 43hz. Fairly impressive (I guess?) since the RB-81's with their 8 inch woofers only get down to 46hz, and the RB-81 II's only get down to 44hz. But, while the 81 series improved in the low end frequency response from generation 1 to 2, the 61's actually went from 43hz to 45hz. I guess this comes down to two questions. Do the RB-61's play noticeably lower than the RB-61 II's? Overall, are the RB-61 II's an improvement over the prior generation? First post. Thanks a lot.

I just picked up some RB-81IIs but when I started my shopping I was looking at the RF-83 and RB-81s. Not having heard them side by side I would say that the RB-IIs sound more natural to me. They still have the klipsch sound but more refined? They do seem to sound a bit deep deeper but I wouldn't say its a huge difference. Between the two I would say having either would be fine and I would opt for the cheaper option. I did give a listen to the RB-61II and RB-51IIs and both sounded really good but never had a chance to compare them to the originals.

I would say that I prefer the RB-81IIs over the RB-61IIS when not using a subwoofer for 2.0. However, when adding a sub I myself couldn't distinguis a huge difference.

For the updates to models I think its primarily for $$. All manufacturers try and keep up buy refining their models. Its never anything remarkable but just noticeable. Built from 2010 is easier on the mind than built in 2005. Makes the buyer think "these will last me a while". I went for the new generations because the price difference was not a lot. Had there been a bigger difference I would have opted for the originals as I don't think I would be able to tell the difference at home.

From what i have gathered over time, it seems klipsch produces the models that sell for a good period of time3-5 years. The ones that dont really sell, well, they are discontinued. The speakers that are updated are generally updated as an improvement. Some models, for instance the RF-7's were a bit harsh, the rf-7 II's supposedly have a smoother tweeter than before.

When you compare 6" to 8" woofers, the biggest difference will be the presence of the speaker. The sound should sound largher with the 8's. Bass wise, you can tune 6.5" woofers to do bass duty of 8" woofers. Its all in the specific engineering for each model. Speaker physics says that 8" woofer will produce bass more efficienctly than 6.5" woofers because of the surface area size difference. the more air you can move and the larger the waves that can be made means you can get more bass easier. But again, the design of the speaker itself as well as the enclosure have a large role in the finished product.

Can a few hz make a difference in bass extension? YES, best comparison i can give you is the RF-3 II to the RF-5's. Virutally the same except for enclosure size difference, some xo tweaking and a slightly larger horn gave me a deeper bass foundation on the rf-5's. Now, as far as bookshelf units go, they are size constrictive, would you most likely notice the difference? Possibly. Bookshelfs to me are there to help with presence vs floorstanders. You arent worried about bass so much because its hard to engineer and very bass bookshelf, size constraints...I would assume the rb-35 would have a larger presence than the rb-61 II. I would also venture to say that the rb-81 II would also have more presence. I dont know for sure since i havent heard any of the bookshelfs aside from the rb-3's, rb-5's and rb-10's. I will say though, the rb-5's had way more of a large image than the rb-3's did. The rb-5's have 8" drivers and the rb-3's have 6.5".

I want to give you an idea of what i look at in terms of bookshelfs when i am looking for something. First of all is my application. Can i fit larger or do i need smaller? Where will they be placed? WIll i get enough sound dispersion to my listening position? Do i need deep bass extension (will it be paired with a sub or not). Its tough to decide, the ghood thing though is the fact that there are so many brands with many different options so eventually you should find something that fits your needs.

I went a little off track but i hope it helps you.

Thanks for the responses from inder19 and SuBXeRo -- very helpful. I noticed another interesting spec. The RB-61 II's weigh nearly 5 pounds less each than the RB-61's. Makes you wonder where those 5 pounds went, and why the newer version does not play as low. Today you always have to wonder if a new version of something is "improved" or if they just found a cheaper way to make something that looks the same but is actually inferior. With that said, my RB-61 II's will be arriving Tuesday. [:o] In the end, I do like the slight cosmetic redesign of the II's, and I'm hoping that Klipsch has improved the mid range/high end in order to give up some of the low end -- which is fine by me. I will be using a small sub just to pick up the stuff under 50hz (which is working out great with the RB-35's), so maybe I will not miss the few extra hz anyway. Unfortunately I won't have a set of RB-61's to compare them too, but we'll see how they do against the RB-35's, for whatever that comparison is worth. Again, thanks for the replies..

The rc-64ii shed significant pounds from the original version too. My understanding is they used different magnets that weigh less in the drivers. Ive always been the bigger and heavier is better in audio guy but oh well. My opinion is klipsch has yet to regress with any speakers and their newer versions are at least as good as the last. Enjoy the speakers!

The rc-64ii shed significant pounds from the original version too. My understanding is they used different magnets that weigh less in the drivers. Ive always been the bigger and heavier is better in audio guy but oh well. My opinion is klipsch has yet to regress with any speakers and their newer versions are at least as good as the last. Enjoy the speakers!

I believe they use neodymium magnets now. Developed in 1982 by general motors, neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnet made.

Yet another interesting spec is that the RB-61's cross over at 2000hz, while the II's cross over at 1500hz.

Oddly (to me anyway) the RB-35's cross over at 2350hz. The woofer actually puts out some treble. I know because one of my tweeters is blown right now, By the way, does anyone have a spare k-130 or k-137 tweeter to sell me? (Klipsch does not at the moment.)

Well, the RB-61 II's are here, and as someone above suggested, they do not have the "presence" of the RB-35's. The RB-61 II's seem to play just as low, and just as high as the RB-35's, (and in fact, the bass in punchier on the RB-61 II's), but the sound is just "smaller" and less open somehow. Perhaps this is not a surprise given that the RB-35's are both bigger and more expensive than what I am comparing them to. Rats.

• 2 weeks later...

So after listening to the RB-61 II's some more and angling them up slightly, I'm pretty happy them. They seem to sound better than they first did, but maybe its in my head. I was going to sell the RB-35's, but have decided to hang on to them until my two new tweeters come in (one tweeter is bad, but I figure I'll replace both, but they are back-ordered). I want to do another comparison before letting them go..