K-Horn "B" Style Question '78 Vintage

DoubleJ

Hi:

What is the proper alignment of the Top Hat as it sits on the top of the bass bin? and Can it be different depending on the Year(s) manufactured.

I've seen pictures where the Top Hat "overhangs" the bass bin, just a bit, but my Top Hats are flush with the bass bins

Mine are flush because that is the only way I could line up the bracket on the bass bin with the threaded rods affixed to the top hat and still be able to secure it with the wing nut square with the bracket.

The only reason why I'm asking is that I going to start re-finishing these and was wondering if the "brackets" on the bass bins have been bent out of place due to poor handling or the threaded rods on the bottom to the top hats are not straight anymore.

These K-Horns were rescued from a bad situation and if I don't start the process of re-finishing these soon, someone else will be saying the same thing about me.

Thanks

JJ

P.S. I will try to provide a picture if my explanation isn't clear enough.

Joe:

Thank you for the reply and I will double check to see if that is the case.

When you say "Mine won't line up at all if I switch them" are you saying that the top hats on your K-Horns are flush with bass bins or do they hang over the edge of the bass bins.

Thanks

JJ

Mine are 1974 KC-FR so no riser. I think when they were new the bottom of the top hat stood a little forward of the bass bin. Somebody sanded mine flush and covered them in paneling before i got them. I refinished them a year or so ago.