Technical amplifier question

Rudy81

Finally, I am wondering if I can measure the voltage output of the amp as it sits right now for a given preamp setting and frequency and then duplicate that voltage with the new amp by adjusting the sensitivity as required.

lots of good conversations below. on your question quoted here. You would need a tone generator or even a tone generator app for an iphone, and feed that into your system. Tone generator is needed becuase of the crossover frequency in LF and HF section. So if you use a 100hz tone as an example to reference your LF section, that tone won't work for HF section because your active will never send it to you HF section. So for example, you would need a 100hz tone and a 1000hz tone. Once you feed the tones thru your system, you can set the gain with the preamp, then measure the output on your amps using a ditigal volt meter.. But, we already know the outcome becuase the gain in DB's is provided in the data sheets I posted.

speakerfritz, yes I was using a tone generator to ensure each driver, right and left, was getting the same voltage for a given frequency. My goal was met since I was trying to get the output of both amps to be the same for a given frequency.....by adjusting the sensitivity. I was also able to use the meter to ensure the right and left channels were putting out the exact same voltage for a given frequency. In my mind this is superior to a SPL measurement since I don't have to worry about the effect of the room on the resulting SPL value. As you know, mic placement is critical and getting that exactly right is nearly impossible.

...he can still use it as a reference since any inaccuracy would be reflected in both amplifier measurements.

This is true, but you sure wouldn't want to have the gain cranked up a 8-10K when the meter isn't reading it very well. It could sure make your high end really HOT!!! [:|]